Help With Extending Drain Line to New Sink Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Cai24

Reaction score
We are remodeling our kitchen and decided to move the sink out of the corner. When all the cabinets were out, I ended up getting a plumber in to lower the sanitary tee. The original height would have been too high with the farmhouse sink that we bought. I would have liked to have the drain moved to the correct location, but it just wasn't feasible. I've attached a picture, so that you can see the setup. The ABS drain line enters into a blind base cabinet (back left). I will have to drill a hole into the sink base cabinet (left side) where the drain will enter. From the drain to the middle of the sink base is about 3'. I need some help with the actual process of running the ABS to the sink. These are my questions:

1. My understanding is that I'm supposed to pitch the drain 1/4" per foot. Should I be bringing the drain line to the middle point of the sink base cabinet? If so, I assume I would need a 3/4" pitch.

2. Would it be any better to have the ABS drain enter the sink cabinet by a small amount (say 4" instead of the center of the cabinet) and then solvent weld an ABS slip joint fitting? From there, I could transition to PVC with a trap arm. Or would it be better to just use all ABS?

3. How do I get the hole drilled correctly in the sink base cabinet? The only idea I have is to cut a small piece of ABS just long enough to touch the sink base. I could then trace where it hits the cabinet and cut that with a hole saw.

I am sorry for asking these questions. I know that I can get a plumber to do this, but I want the satisfaction of doing it on my own. I know how to make the actual connections, it's just planning this out correctly that is a challenge for me. Thank you in advance for any tips, suggestions, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_5859.jpg
    IMG_5859.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 182

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a disposer then often that spins on the basket and can be pointed toward a drain. I would think you would stay closer to the back and if needed add a 45 to hit the drain. You will want a cleanout for snaking later.

Using a tape measure, you can mark the center of the hole and hole saw it. You need the center mark anyway for any bit you use.
Some plumbers use ABS on the trap, I use PVC that comes apart when I want to clean things up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks