Help with dry vent

Users who are viewing this thread

cerealhunter

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm finishing my basement and I just had the underground plumbing inspection and the inspector found 1 violation on a vent. He cited IPC 905.5 but would not give me to much info on how to remediate it. Everything else he checked out was fine.

Apparently, the issue is that the vent cannot be horizontal

I had 3 different plumbers come out and they cannot figure out what is wrong. the pictures attached show the setup, this is in a basement and the whole thing goes to a sump where the ejector pump lives.

There is also a wet vent (not in pictures) for the sink.

I'm not sure how to move forward, the inspector keeps saying that this is a simple fix but I cannot picture it.

Any help will be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2910.jpg
    IMG_2910.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 127

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
IPC 905.5 is about the height at which you can tie vents together. Perhaps the inspector meant 905.4, which is about the vertical rise of dry vents:

https://up.codes/viewer/georgia/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#905.4

In that last photo, is the smaller line coming off the wye a dry vent or a wet vent? If it's a wet vent (the lavatory drain), the arrangement looks IPC compliant to me and I see no problem.

If it is a dry vent, then I agree it violates 905.4 (and 905.3). Other plumbing codes (UPC) have an exception there for when the vertical rise is "prohibited by structural conditions," but the IPC does not. So it seems like the way to fix it would be either (a) make it into a wet vent, so it can be a horizontal connection like you have or (b) move the wye closer to the wood framed wall, so that you can roll the wye side branch up at least 45 degrees and enter the wall without ever going flat.

Cheers, Wayne

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Side note: The lav drain (the last two inch branch) should have a long sweep 90, not a regular 90 as it appears to me in the photo.
The rest is Horizontal Wet Vent, which your IPC allows, so it is perplexing to me.
What is with the 3" cleanout under the slab?
We normally would also have run a 3" cleanout above the slab into the wall to be able to fully snake horizontal runs greater than 5'.

cerealhunter

Reaction score
IPC 905.5 is about the height at which you can tie vents together. Perhaps the inspector meant 905.4, which is about the vertical rise of dry vents:

https://up.codes/viewer/georgia/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#905.4

In that last photo, is the smaller line coming off the wye a dry vent or a wet vent? If it's a wet vent (the lavatory drain), the arrangement looks IPC compliant to me and I see no problem.

If it is a dry vent, then I agree it violates 905.4 (and 905.3). Other plumbing codes (UPC) have an exception there for when the vertical rise is "prohibited by structural conditions," but the IPC does not. So it seems like the way to fix it would be either (a) make it into a wet vent, so it can be a horizontal connection like you have or (b) move the wye closer to the wood framed wall, so that you can roll the wye side branch up at least 45 degrees and enter the wall without ever going flat.

Cheers, Wayne

Thank you! I'm going to use the pipe that I capped off (Looks like a cleanout) which will take me closer to the wall and then I can come up where the cat is standing at higher than 45 Deg. and then up the wall.

Thank you again for your help.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For standard wet venting, your dry vent has to attach to a fixture drain, meaning it has to attach to a drain section that is only seeing the flow of one fixture. It can't be downstream of a wye where two fixtures come together.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks