Help with connecting my dryer up to a water line

Users who are viewing this thread

Ray T.

Reaction score
I recently perched a dryer with water connection for steam, the location of my dryer has no water connection near it, the closest water is 13-15 ft. could I put a Y connection on the cold water side of my washer and use a copper line like the one for my ice maker??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, or you could use a hose designed for the same purpose. As with any of this type of thing, it's a good idea to have a shutoff at the supply and shut the water off for the washer/dryer when not in use. The rubber or plastic hoses can eventually burst, and it's one thing if you're home doing laundry, it's another if you're away, maybe for days, and the water just keeps running. The damages can be staggering, depending on where it is.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most dryers with a water connection come WITH the "Y" connection and the supply line hose. Yours may have gotten "misplaced" when it was opened.

Ray T.

Reaction score
Most dryers with a water connection come WITH the "Y" connection and the supply line hose. Yours may have gotten "misplaced" when it was opened.
We perched the dryer as a scratch-n-dent it did not have anything with it including instructions.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
CPVC would work, but pvc should NOT be used for water supplies in a house.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
PVC in the home is NOT code compliant, and should NEVER be used for water supplies IN the house. THey do make a version suitable for use outside where it is buried. Probably won't 'hurt' the dryer, but it could crack and leak messing up lots of other things. It is not designed for constant pressure where CPVC is.

Ray T.

Reaction score
PVC in the home is NOT code compliant, and should NEVER be used for water supplies IN the house. THey do make a version suitable for use outside where it is buried. Probably won't 'hurt' the dryer, but it could crack and leak messing up lots of other things. It is not designed for constant pressure where CPVC is.
Well I plan to have it with a hose connection on both ends and a Y connection at the washers cold water line with a separate cutoff so its not under constant pressure all the time only when in use. oh and by the way this is in my garage with nothing that could get damaged even if it did burst. Thanks for the advice.

Wondering

Reaction score
Ray T: You can look your dryer up online and find the installation instructions and the owners manual also.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Why not just use something that is designed for this? CPVC is readily available and IS designed for supply lines. It's about as easy to work with as pvc DRAIN lines, and will be reliable, long-term. The cost difference is minimal.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Why not just use something that is designed for this? CPVC is readily available and IS designed for supply lines. It's about as easy to work with as pvc DRAIN lines, and will be reliable, long-term. The cost difference is minimal.

Ray T.

Reaction score
I already have 8 8ft lengths of it so that is what I will use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks