Help with compression valve install

Users who are viewing this thread

star_man

Reaction score
While trying to fix a leaky bathroom sink faucet, I noticed that the cold water supply tube coming out of the floor to the sink is CPVC, and has no shut off valve. I'm a DIY'er and have never worked with this material. I would like to install a shut off valve. Should I get a pro for this?

IMG_1381 (2).jpg

730c4983-3700-4ac0-8145-de3736ed38c8

Last edited:

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
It depends on your level of comfort with cutting and gluing. I would not recommend using a compression valve, or any other compression fitting, on old cpvc because it can get brittle and crack.
The easiest thing to do would be to cut the CPVC with a fine tooth hacksaw or really sharp CPVC cutters. If you use the ratchet cutters try to go back and forth when you make the cut so the pipe doesn't crack if it's brittle. Make sure you bevel the end of the cut pipe. Then get a glue on straight stop. Use the orange lava CPVC glue with no primer to glue the new valve on. Give it about an hour and you should be good to go.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Being old cpvc use a fine tooth saw like plumbs wrote. Use primer
https://www.corzan.com/blog/the-dos-and-donts-of-cpvc-piping-solvent-cement-welding

You don't use primer with the lava cpvc cement. It specifies not recommended to use with primer. You can use it with other cpvc cements. All I use is lava cement since I do repair work. Back when I did new construction I used flowguard gold so I didn't need the water on within an hour or two.

*Edited post because I thought the label said not to use primer. It says not recommended in case anyone looks this up in the future.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks