Help with broken pipe in foundation wall

Users who are viewing this thread

djkoell

Reaction score
Could really appreciate some help with this situation. While I'm out of town we had a waterline freeze in the recent cold weather in TX. My handy neighbor tried to help me repairing a broken pvc pipe. Apparently he had some issues getting the broken portion of PVC out of the Tee fitting and the PVC cracked. He then thought to remove the Tee without properly holding the pipe coming out of the foundation wall and in the process kinked/twisted the pipe within the foundation wall! I did ask my wife to see if he could help but he has definitely made things worse.

I return home tomorrow but wanted to get your thoughts on this repair. I called a couple plumbers but they all are booked solid with similar repairs from the recent arctic blast.

Could anyone list out what I need to do to repair? The pipe is coming out of the wall below our slab grade. I was thinking I could use a cold chisel and make a hole around 8" to get back to where the pipe is in good condition. I've done some plumbing work, but nothing with pipes directly in ground or foundation. Again, would appreciate any guidance on how I can repair without potentially doing anything to make it worse.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Broken pipe in the wall.JPG
    Broken pipe in the wall.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 253
  • Broken PVC Stub.JPG
    Broken PVC Stub.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 186

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks really messy going through the foundation at that angle.
To cut the pipe back and thread it means you need some access there. Normally my hand threader has a long bar on it to turn the die. It would be a bear to use with less leverage. If it were me, me being someone that has worked a lot with pipes over the years, I would let a plumber do this one, even if I had to wait on it.
The downside on this, is how much will need to come out before you have a pipe good enough to work with? What year was the home built? And why does that look like black pipe there? Normally black is for gas and galvanized is for water.

djkoell

Reaction score
That looks really messy going through the foundation at that angle.
To cut the pipe back and thread it means you need some access there. Normally my hand threader has a long bar on it to turn the die. It would be a bear to use with less leverage. If it were me, me being someone that has worked a lot with pipes over the years, I would let a plumber do this one, even if I had to wait on it.
The downside on this, is how much will need to come out before you have a pipe good enough to work with? What year was the home built? And why does that look like black pipe there? Normally black is for gas and galvanized is for water.

Thanks for the super fast response. I'll be home tomorrow to look at it first hand. I was thinking it was copper coming out of the wall and could get in the foundation to cut and resolder a coupler. I'll call a couple other plumbers tomorrow to see if I can get someone.

Any harm with me making a 8"-10" hole to at least expose the pipe for myself and the plumber to repair?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's copper, how are you going to enlarge the hole without dinging the pipe? You need to treat that one with kid gloves. Whatever that one means.
Hot as a pistola. One of my dad's. I think he got that one from the Mexican on his ranch that taught him to throw a lasso.
Or, "Watch your fingers or you'll pull back a bloody stump! "

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks