Help with brief salty water after completion of regeneration cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

H2Obug

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Fleck 5600 Econominder and 48,000 grain resin tank to replace my old water softener. The installation was simple, however, I have noticed that, after the regeneration cycle is completed, I will have almost foamy salt water (salty as the brine) coming from my tap that I have to flush from the system for about 5 minutes. Once this is done, the water is good with no residual salt taste.

I am wondering if this is a problem with the valve because I have also had difficulty in rotating the dial to set the number of gallons before each regeneration cycle. When I pull up on the front ring, it barely moves, and the back ring is almost impossible to rotate. It moves some, but is very difficult.

Does this sound like a faulty valve, or did I do something wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Salty water after regeneration is typically a result of insufficient Slow Rinse during regeneration.

I suspect the Capacity and salt settings are currently too high.

Post the Capacity calculations you are using along with the current salt setting which is calibrated on the salt cam located on the rear of the 5600 Econominder. Your Econominder may be equipped with a rear cover that will need to be removed to access the salt cam.

We will also need to know your water's actual hardness and the amount of water consumption or the number of residents so as to estimate consumption.

H2Obug

Reaction score
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I think you are right.

These are my rough calculations: My water is about 250 ppm so or 14.6 gpg. Currently, the recycle volume is at 1300 gallons. 1300 x 14.6 = 18,980. 18,980/2400 = 7.9 pounds of salt per cycle assuming 1 pound of salt for 2400 grains.

I opened the back of the unit and saw that it was set at 18 pounds per cycle.

Based on this, I think I may set it to recycle at 900 gallons and set it at 6 pounds per cycle. Does that sound reasonable for now?

I had planned to have my water tested by my local water department, but they were closed for water testing due to Covid issues. After they reopened, I had forgotten about it until I got a mouthful of salt while brushing my teeth. I probably need to send a water sample off and adjust this better.

Thank you for your help. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

H2Obug

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have also added that there is usually only one person at my house, but during the summer, there are three. So, water consumption varies between about 50 gallons per day to 250.

Reach4

Reaction score
If no iron that you did not tell us about,
ECONOMINDER System info
salt lb/cuft = 8.0 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
cubic ft resin = 1.50 ; Same as (nominal grains/32,000)
Raw hardness = 14.6 ; including iron etc
Comp factor = 1.09 ; High-hardness compensation factor
H compensated = 15.9 ; Hardness grains after comp factor
Capacity of resin = 36.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
Gallons total = 2264.5 ; Gallons without considering reserve
Estimated gal/day = 120.0 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Est days/regen = 18.9 ; presuming days each use reserve capacity

Econominder Settings:
LBS.OF SALT = 12.0 ; Brine cam in back, pounds of salt
White Dot gal x100 = 21.4 ; Pull clear wheel to set
White Dot gal x1000 = 2.1 ; Pull clear wheel to set

Bannerman

Reaction score
How did you measure the water hardness to arrive at 250 ppm? If you used a TDS meter, that is not a hardness test. The Hach 5B Total Hardness Test kit is reliable, inexpensive and accurate.

Is your water source Municipal or a private well?

H2Obug

Reaction score
It's a private well, and there is some iron. I just don't know the amount. If you would tell me how to adjust for that, I can make the changes when I get my water analysis back from the township.

Thank you so much for your help!

Reach4

Reaction score
It's a private well, and there is some iron. I just don't know the amount. If you would tell me how to adjust for that, I can make the changes when I get my water analysis back from the township.

Multiply the ppm (mg/l) of iron by 5, and add that to the hardness grains.

In addition, some extra cleaning of the valve (especially injector) , and/or additives to the brine tank with the salt the may be called for.

H2Obug

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't see the first question. Yes, I did use a TDS meter, so probably not the best info for you to use to help me. I will get my water tested, and maybe also use the Hatch test kit.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't see the first question. Yes, I did use a TDS meter, so probably not the best info for you to use to help me. I will get my water tested, and maybe also use the Hatch test kit.
Your water hardness is probably significantly lower than 15.9 grains then.

H2Obug

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments. This has been very helpful for me and will help me to know better what adjustments to make once I get my water test back. I am grateful to you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks