Help with Bathroom venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Ravean

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a bathroom where the venting for the toilet and shower need to be moved into another wall. All venting is 2" and this is in California.

1) Can they be combined before they rise above the fixtures? The toilet vent is higher than the shower so they could be combined vertically with a sanitary T (upside down).

plumbing.jpg

2) Or could one of those vents be used for both the toilet and shower and I could eliminate the other one and the Sanitary T?
3) Or do they both need to go up into the wall and then they can be combined with a Sanitary T?

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:

Ravean

Reaction score
You are both correct, the upside down T is below the floor and is only a vent. Both connections coming into it are vents. Also forgot to mention all venting is 2". Thanks!

MKS

Reaction score
Not a pro.
Vents come from above.
I believe this has been discussed here but don't have a link.
The two inch vent is enough to wet vent bathroom groups typically.
In your case I believe the vent must attach to the top half of the two inch shower drain with a wye rolled up to 45 degrees within five feet of the shower trap. This would also vent the toilet eliminating your drawn toilet vent.

upc_wet_venting_bathrooms.jpg

Ravean

Reaction score
Thanks MKS, so it sounds like what I have would work with just the vent coming off the shower drain and I could eliminate the other vent.

Ravean

Reaction score
This would be the approximate layout with the toilet wet vented through the shower drain.
plumbing2.jpg

MKS

Reaction score
It looks like you are.on the right track.
The sink vent/drain should look like the ones in the above drawings. The vent to the shower drain needs to go into the top half of the shower drain to the best of my understanding.

Ravean

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Those diagrams are reassuring. Is that what you are basing your information off? The sink and sink vent are already in place, I just added them to the diagram as I was thinking maybe I could just use that vent but I don't know if it is a 2" vent. I will check its size.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks