Help with Bathroom Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

RubErDuckee

Reaction score
I had installed a sink after years of no sink in our bathroom. It worked great for awhile, and now won't drain, I think it has some rust build up, and was looking to replace or clean. I have attached a picture of the setup. My great grandfather converted an old store into a house 60 years ago, and some of his choices have made it very tough to do any remodel.

Suggestions on what I could do?

Thoughts include cutting out old pipe and swapping in PVC, trying to remove old pipe and swap, or run a line over to toilet/kitchen drain that is about 3 feet away (it is also old cast iron with lead and oakum)

Thank you all!

PXL_20220806_184332364.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Concrete slap there or crawlspace?
It looks to be 1-1/2" galvanized pipe there which you could cut out and with couplings replace. The slow drain may or may not be in that section though. A hand snake may help with that.

Just drove down the Columbia this week, coming back from Riverside, North of Omak.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 ways to go replace as little as possible while the walls are open ,or replace as much as possible vents above flood level leave alone or remove if its easier. water piping as well anything gal. goes if budget allows, however if your pipes are in real good shape and the building is pretty plain and worth little it might be ok to just cover it all back up.

RubErDuckee

Reaction score
Well.....I cut the pipes, simplier than I thought. Standing water in pipe, cant get a snake to pass.

Looking like I may need to cap this and bypass running a water line to the toiler air vent/sink drain T

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well.....I cut the pipes, simplier than I thought. Standing water in pipe, cant get a snake to pass.

Looking like I may need to cap this and bypass running a water line to the toiler air vent/sink drain T
Sorry to hear that it's not going to be simple like we hoped.
My sisters place in Riverside.

jade-lake-cabin-deck-1.jpg

RubErDuckee

Reaction score
PXL_20220808_011429348.jpg

After some persistence, we got it fixed!

Ran a shop vac with a suction hose and removed a lot of gunk. Then used a drain cleaning bladder to push and mix it up, suctioned up again, bladder, and viola! It was done, free flowing.

Thanks everyone!

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't see how you got the access, unless you were working from the roof or you pulled the couplings. Glad things are flowing now.

In retrospect, a cleanout (wye) on that 45 degree drain pipe would have been handy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks