Help with basement bathroom rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Stuff

Reaction score
If the 1 1/2" pipe doesn't go up the wall then what about outside? Anything there?

Marko

Reaction score
You have no idea where that 1.5" pipe goes to in the floor? You might tie it into the shower line with a wye fitting.
The vent pipe in the ceiling will need to be tied into.

Have you run everything in the home to find out if any of it goes to those two pipes?

I ran all the sinks and toilets and showers but nothing runs out of that pipe sticking out. Is it safer to just tie it in instead of capping?

I am thinking of tying it into the old 1 1/2” lav drain right by the main drain as I will no longer use that. Do you think that will work?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I am thinking of tying it into the old 1 1/2” lav drain right by the main drain as I will no longer use that. Do you think that will work?

I vote for tying it into the old lav drain, as long as it doesn't interfere with the 2" for the new lav.

Marko

Reaction score
I’ve made a new drawing of how everything will be connected based on the drawing from Terry in page 1.

would it be possible to obtain feedback if this is correct? Thanks!

Please ignore the 2 22.5 degreees 1 1/2” connectors. The ceiling coupling should say 1 1/2” x 2”.

ED3B62E7-08A2-4EE5-A2BE-81B5A3440B24.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't see a problem, but I could have missed something. Consider a 4 x 3 closet elbow to feed the 3 inch pipe. That accepts either an outside 4 inch or inside 4 inch closet flange. However since you are selecting an offset flange, maybe that 4x3 would not fit for you. What offset flange are you looking at? Would a 45 degree output flange work instead?

Marko

Reaction score
I don't see a problem, but I could have missed something. Consider a 4 x 3 closet elbow to feed the 3 inch pipe. That accepts either an outside 4 inch or inside 4 inch closet flange. However since you are selecting an offset flange, maybe that 4x3 would not fit for you. What offset flange are you looking at? Would a 45 degree output flange work instead?

this is the offset flange I was thinking of using. Is this okay?
88EA9A05-1071-4EA3-81AC-54ED3AEAB038.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score

Marko

Reaction score
Okay I will look for those. The idea is that the opening by the toilet is 4” and then goes down to 3 as it connects to my main drain. Is that correct?

And it is better that it has a stainless steels flange? For the toilet to be better secured? Is my understanding correct?

Reach4

Reaction score

Marko

Reaction score
For the 4x3 closet elbow, yes.

Yes. Not that plastic will not usually survive, but the stainless ring should be more durable.

I wonder if this could work better for your routing situation:
black-oatey-abs-fittings-436662-64_145.jpg
Oatey 436662 Or Sioux Chief 889-45AM
889-45am-1.jpg

https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/offset-flange/dropkick

thanks! I found one at Home Depot which looks like the same that I can order online.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/si...ge-by-3-inch-spigot-flush-to-floor/1001201164

Marko

Reaction score
I’ve made a new drawing of how everything will be connected based on the drawing from Terry in page 1.

would it be possible to obtain feedback if this is correct? Thanks!

Please ignore the 2 22.5 degreees 1 1/2” connectors. The ceiling coupling should say 1 1/2” x 2”.

View attachment 60967

I am just hoping for a bit of clarification.

In the top part, the 2x2x2 above the toilet flange. I have it noted as a wye, should it be a wye or a sani tee?

In the middle part, the 2x2x1 1/2 is noted as a wye, should it be a wye or sani tee?

thanks so much!

Reach4

Reaction score
In the top part, the 2x2x2 above the toilet flange. I have it noted as a wye, should it be a wye or a sani tee?
I find that top section drawing is confusing. A little like a Picasso, but not nearly that bad. A sanitary tee that carries drainage always is in a vertical plane with the side port horizontal. In your drawing, the output of the trap passes horizontally through a 45, and then gets to the fitting in question. The side port of the fitting points up, and has an AAV on it. I think that needs to be a combo fitting which is the combination of a wye and a 45. Not a santee. There was a time where a santee on its side was the norm there, but not now. After that vents, the line can continue at 1/4 inch per foot downward or more.

The middle makes more sense, but it has some weirdness. The output of the p-trap is the trap arm. The trap arm needs to go horizontal (dropping at 1/4 inch per foot) until it gets vented. So I think the fitting there should be a santee, and the trap arm should go horizontally into the santee side port. The trap arm path can go through a horizontal long 90 on its way to the santee. There is a maximum length for that path from the U of the trap to the santee.

Last edited:

Marko

Reaction score
I find that top section drawing is confusing. A little like a Picasso, but not nearly that bad. A sanitary tee that carries drainage always is in a vertical plane with the side port horizontal. In your drawing, the output of the trap passes horizontally through a 45, and then gets to the fitting in question. The side port of the fitting points up, and has an AAV on it. I think that needs to be a combo fitting which is the combination of a wye and a 45. Not a santee. After that vent, the line can continue at 1/4 inch per foot downward or more.

The middle makes more sense, but it has some weirdness. The output of the p-trap is the trap arm. The trap arm needs to go horizontal (dropping at 1/4 inch per foot) until it gets vented. So I think the fitting there should be a santee, and the trap arm should go horizontally into the santee side port. The trap arm path can go through a horizontal long 90 on its way to the santee. There is a maximum length for that path from the U of the trap to the santee.

thanks for the clarification on the middle part, that will be a sani tee. My drawing skills are subpar so I apologize for that. I will ensure that it is dropping until it gets vented. The horizontal part will only be 2 feet maximum.

regarding the first part, the top drawing is an aerial view of the floor, as if you’re standing above and looking down. The middle part is the front view of the wall which is right in front of you (if you look down you see the first part, if you look straight ahead you see the middle part).

so the 2x2x2 connects the following:
- on the left is the shower drain
- on the right, connects to the main drain
- on the middle (wye part) goes horizontal, and then 90 degrees vertical to connect to the vent/sink drain (middle part)

does that clarify things?

so for this connection what type of fitting should I use to ensure that shower and sink drainage go to main drain correctly?

I really appreciate all this help you’re providing.

Reach4

Reaction score
- on the middle (wye part) goes horizontal, and then 90 degrees vertical to connect to the vent/sink drain (middle part)
That dry vent for the shower should not go horizontal. If you could bring in a 2 inch pipe from a lavatory to do wet venting, you can come in horizontal. Is that top left 1-1/2 inch from a lavatory? That would simplify things potentially. I don't know if you would have to increase the size of a wet vent in Canada to 2 inch. With UPC you would, and IPC, I am not sure.

For the dry vent, can you put the combo at/in the wall with the side port vertical, and run the drainage from the shower through that? 45 degrees or less from actual vertical is considered vertical.

Marko

Reaction score
That dry vent for the shower should not go horizontal. If you could bring in a 2 inch pipe from a lavatory to do wet venting, you can come in horizontal. Is that top left 1-1/2 inch from a lavatory? That would simplify things potentially. I don't know if you would have to increase the size of a wet vent in Canada to 2 inch. With UPC you would, and IPC, I am not sure.

For the dry vent, can you put the combo at/in the wall with the side port vertical, and run the drainage from the shower through that? 45 degrees or less from actual vertical is considered vertical.

So what I am trying to achieve is based on this drawing from terry ive attached. Specifically the portion I’ve highlighted.

so the shower venting comes from above, via a 2” vent running vertical up the wall. To this venting the sink is also connected.

so the 2x2x2 wye bring in venting for the shower along with sink drainage via 2” pipe. Can it go horizontal for approximately 6 inch before it goes vertical into the wall, or will it have to have it go vertical right away? I could achieve that with 2 45’s instead of the one 90 degree. Does that work?

Attachments

• 7ACF58D0-D77F-4287-8B2A-8A9D20488545.jpeg
    7ACF58D0-D77F-4287-8B2A-8A9D20488545.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 136

Reach4

Reaction score
so the 2x2x2 wye bring in venting for the shower along with sink drainage via 2” pipe. Can it go horizontal for approximately 6 inch before it goes vertical into the wall, or will it have to have it go vertical right away?
Yes. The wet vent can go horizontal. The dry vent cannot, assuming the rules in Canada are similar to UPC in that regard.
I could achieve that with 2 45’s instead of the one 90 degree. Does that work?
Yes. 45s are good.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks