Help with AO Smith GDHE 50 install

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Christianson

Reaction score
I purchased an AO Smith GDHE 50 from a local builders outlet store for $1000. I have it all installed with the exception of the exhaust. The condensate drains from the bottom exhaust port through a drain that I believe was supposed to come with the unit. Mine of course did not. I see an AO Smith exhaust elbow assembly at Supplyhouse with a trap but the images I'm finding online of this unit seem to just have a drain hose coming from the bottom of the exhaust elbow.

Can anyone tell me what the correct fitting is for this unit and possibly, where I could purchase one?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Call OA Smith customer desk, they might send you the missing and right part.

Chris Christianson

Reaction score
Call OA Smith customer desk, they might send you the missing and right part.
Thanks dj2. Problem with that is whomever the dealer is that offloads these water heaters through builders material outlet, removed the tag with the serial number on it. AO Smith service won't give me any information or send me any parts without a serial number. Kind of turning into a difficult way to save $1500. Just need to find out if there needs to be a trap or just a drain line.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks dj2. Problem with that is whomever the dealer is that offloads these water heaters through builders material outlet, removed the tag with the serial number on it. AO Smith service won't give me any information or send me any parts without a serial number. Kind of turning into a difficult way to save $1500. Just need to find out if there needs to be a trap or just a drain line.

Buyer beware.
You bought a water heater without a model number/serial number tag, at 60% off. Why would a plumbing outlet sell new water heater without tags?
Can you draw any conclusions?

Anyway, if OA Smith service won't help, go back to the "outlet" and see if they will sell you the part you missing. Don't fret, you have $1500 in your pocket.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
BTW Chris, I have bought plenty of water heaters with dents and huge discounts through the years...but they all came with warranties and no missing parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks