HELP Water Meter Red Triangle

Users who are viewing this thread

Austin Petersen

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! I had a slab leak 2 months ago and just recently had a whole house repipe completed 2 days ago. Ever since the leak I have been obsessed with the red triangle (leak indicator). What I have noticed is it doesn't actively spin when everything is turned off in the house, which is good. But every 10-15 minutes I check the triangle and notice it has moved JUST slightly to the left. Maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 of a turn. Then another 20 minutes will pass and it either turns back to the right or it will move another 1/4 of a turn. What does this mean? Is it just pressure since its new pipes or is there a very very tiny leak. Again, it doesn't actively spin when everything is off.

Austin Petersen

Reaction score

Attachments

• Water Meter.jpg
    Water Meter.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 223

Reach4

Reaction score
You could check the long hand if you are going away for a while. That would average out any bidirectional stuff. If that moves, you could look to a toilet flapper leak, ice maker drawing water, softener dripping from its drain, slow irrigation leak. I am wondering if that arrow going to the right couldn't be going to the left a little more so it looked as if had gone a bit to the right.

Many, if not most, water meters have a check valve that prevents water backing up to the water mains. In that case, a WH heating could still cause some movement if the P&T valve lets some water out, and that gets replenished through the meter after a little cooling. So your action item would be to detect any water coming out of your WH T+P drain after using a lot of hot water, and then stopping using water.

Also, I am curious. What was the piping that needed to be replaced? Copper in slab, galvanized, or what?

Austin Petersen

Reaction score
You could check the long hand if you are going away for a while. That would average out any bidirectional stuff. If that moves, you could look to a toilet flapper leak, ice maker drawing water, softener dripping from its drain, slow irrigation leak. I am wondering if that arrow going to the right couldn't be going to the left a little more so it looked as if had gone a bit to the right.

Many, if not most, water meters have a check valve that prevents water backing up to the water mains. In that case, a WH heating could still cause some movement if the P&T valve lets some water out, and that gets replenished through the meter after a little cooling. So your action item would be to detect any water coming out of your WH T+P drain after using a lot of hot water, and then stopping using water.

Also, I am curious. What was the piping that needed to be replaced? Copper in slab, galvanized, or what?

Thank you for your response. The long hand does not move at all, it's just the small triangle that slightly moves 1/2 turn or 1/4 turn or so.

The piping that needed replacing was copper under the slab. They repiped the house using PEX A pipes and ran the new pipes threw the attics and down into the bathrooms, kitchen, etc. The water pressure is so much better!

Austin Petersen

Reaction score

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks