Help w/ Crossover - Touch Faucets and Check Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,
I have 3 touch faucets, a couple of check valves and a return hot water re circulation loop.
I also have other faucets in the house with a tankless hot water gas heater.

Recently the masterbath shower started showing a crossover hot water issue. I just replaced the Moen one handle shower valve cartridge yesterday and the problem persists.

If either/or/and the Kitchen bar sink touch faucet and the Garage utility touch faucet has the one handle control open and the solenoid is OFF, with no water coming out of either of the 2 sinks, the master bath shower will divert/cross over hot water to these sinks and the shower will be luke warm.

When the shower is running and either sink has the one handle control open with the touch solenoid OFF and no water coming out of these 2 sinks, you can hear water running in the lines of these sinks going somewhere. When I turn the one handle control closed the water running sound STOPS and the shower will get full hot.

I have a check valve in line with the hot water return loop to ensure the recirculation pump goes one way. I dont know if that is faulty?
How can I troubleshoot this? I dont know if the crossover is happening on the other sinks hot or cold lines?

I have 3 touchless faucets.
I added the garage utility sink touchless faucet a few months ago.. that is when I started seeing intermittent gremlins in my system causing luke warm showers. The other 2 delta touch faucets were added during a kitchen remodel 5 years ago and have had no issues until the garage faucet add. I could replace the garage faucet... but ???

All touchless faucets work by having the touch solendoid off and on with the control handle left on.
Are all touchless faucets to have check valves on both lines to stop backflow and crossover or?

Ideas? Suggestions? how do I troubleshoot this?

thanks haeffnkr

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have 3 touchless faucets.
I added the garage utility sink touchless faucet a few months ago.. that is when I started seeing intermittent gremlins in my system causing luke warm showers. The other 2 delta touch faucets were added during a kitchen remodel 5 years ago and have had no issues until the garage faucet add. I could replace the garage faucet... but ???

Install 3/8 inline compression check valves on the supplies to the garage faucet. They came and should have been installed with the Delta faucets and whatever brand is in the garage should have provided them as well.

To test, you can simply turn off one or both valves of the garage faucet to see if the problem goes away.

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
I am not sure if there are compression fittings on any of the touchless faucets. I will check.

I further tested and the problem is bigger than I expected but I dont know what it means :)
If any of the 3 one handle showers are on hot and ANY of the 3 touchless faucets valves are hot/cold mixed ON, solenoid off, there IS CROSSOVER.
If any of the 3 touchless faucets are full on hot or cold there is NO crossover.

I assume this just confirms I need check valves on all touchless supply lines?

thanks in advance
haeffnkr

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
For some reason... none of my supply lines on the touchless faucets have check valves.

I ordered 3 pair of these to add to the supply lines.

thanks haeffnkr

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
For some reason... none of my supply lines on the touchless faucets have check valves.

I ordered 3 pair of these to add to the supply lines.

thanks haeffnkr
Nice, looks like that should work.

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
Follow up.

Got my check valves today and installed them. I don't hear any crossover water in the touch faucets now. Initial shower tests were positive. I can not believe I have been chasing this for years and the solution was so simple. I don't remember if when I installed the delta touch faucets I threw out the check valves or they were not included. These was none in the box w/ the touch faucet.

thanks haeffnkr

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks