HELP! Trying to change Old Price Pfister Avante

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by rjboykin, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. rjboykin

    rjboykin New Member

    Jul 10, 2008

    My wife and I are in the middle of a bathroom remodel project and we where at the local Home Depot and brought a nice Moen Shower Kit but it does not fit our exiting setup. I then realized I don't have a Moen, I have a Price Pfister, I should have check before hand. It's the old 8/9 Series with the rectangular shaped plate with plastic handle. I don't want to have to rip down the board board we just put up to cut pipes. Does anyone know if some of the new Price Pfister Shower kits will retrofit into the 8/9 series?

    BTW...My current plate is the two screw.

    Here is a picture of what I have. I really don't want to do anything behind the wall.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2009
  2. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    The trim pieces of virtually any plumbing fixture are brand and often model can't exchange them sort of like trying to put a Chevy piston into a Ford engine.

    Now, depending on how old and the type of shower valve you have, you may HAVE to change it to a newer version to meet current codes. Depends on what you have and your local inspector's view of grandfathered, verses major remodel/change. All new valves must have anti-scald features. If yours doesn't, it's time to change. If you are lucky, and you can determine the existing brand, you may be able to replace the trim pieces.

    If you do decide to replace the valve, and the hole needs to be enlarged to do it (assuming you don't have access from the rear), then they do make remodel plates which will cover a bigger hole than normal.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. rjboykin

    rjboykin New Member

    Jul 10, 2008
    Thanks for the quick response.

    I was hoping I could use the new Price Pfister, same manufacture, kits. Maybe for now I can find a trim kit that fits it. I'm not experienced with changing it all out, and I don't have the money to pay a plumber to do it.
  5. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    I think PP makes an adapter to retrofit the new non-pressure balance Avante trim to the old ones, but it has been years since I have done it so I am not sure it they still have one. It is not a stock item so you have to get it from PP if it is available. The new trim will not cover the octagonal hole you have, however.
  6. rjboykin

    rjboykin New Member

    Jul 10, 2008
    Thanks, I will try to see if I can find one. I was at Lowes last night for something else and stopped by the plumbing section and notice they had universal single unit handles. I wasn't sure if that would do it so I didn't buy it. I will look for the adapter, hopefully I can Google it.

    Thanks Again,

  7. Redwood

    Redwood Master Plumber

    Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    You did good by avoiding the universal kit!

    Call Price-Pfister!
Similar Threads: HELP Trying
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Help trying to replace leaking O-ring in Moen Traditional kitchen faucet Dec 13, 2015
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Another "help identifying shower valve" post Today at 7:15 PM
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Help Identifying Shower Valve / Stem / Cartridge Today at 4:34 PM
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Stumped - help identify shower faucet please? Today at 12:49 PM
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Need help replacing Moen 1225 Tub cartridge Tuesday at 12:51 PM

Share This Page