Help! Too many toilet choices

Users who are viewing this thread

renov8question

Reaction score
I need to quickly choose 3 toilets to put into the new home that I'm updating. I'm on a budget but a good toilet is important to me, so I'd be willing to spend a bit more (I really hate having to use a plunger!). I prefer a one piece (lets just say with 3 males in the house, I find it easier to clean), and want a standard height as I'm petite. I also prefer a more contemporary vs. traditional look. I've read so much about Toto but they are definitely on the pricier side, and of course there's always Kohler....I know other brands are mentioned here but I'm a bit afraid to go with a name I'm not familiar with. Can anyone please make some suggestions to me? I need to order these ASAP. Thanks!

Teepster Price

Reaction score
I need to quickly choose 3 toilets to put into the new home that I'm updating. I'm on a budget but a good toilet is important to me, so I'd be willing to spend a bit more (I really hate having to use a plunger!). I prefer a one piece (lets just say with 3 males in the house, I find it easier to clean), and want a standard height as I'm petite. I also prefer a more contemporary vs. traditional look. I've read so much about Toto but they are definitely on the pricier side, and of course there's always Kohler....I know other brands are mentioned here but I'm a bit afraid to go with a name I'm not familiar with. Can anyone please make some suggestions to me? I need to order these ASAP. Thanks!
I put in a Kholer Santa Rosa (1 piece)about a year ago. Not a problem so far. Picked it up at Lowes. they're around $300. Not sure you can get them in standard height though. FLushes fast and no plugs yet. I'm not crazy about the seat but everyone else in the family likes it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not a lot of toilets that meet your list. American Standard Fairfield 12-in Rough-in Elongated Standard Height Toilet seems to, including price. You did not state elongated, but I added that for you.

I also prefer a more contemporary vs. traditional look.
Not sure what that means. If you mean concealed trapway, I would say that an exposed trapway is more common today than in the 50s. Do you mean rounded rather than squarish?

Consider getting one toilet "standard height", and making the others the more contemporary standard :rolleyes: which is "comfort height".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
American Standard Fairfield 12-in Rough-in Elongated Standard Height Toilet.

That "standard height" is still one inch taller than a standard height TOTO at 15-1/2"
The Kohler product is 16-1/2" and the TOTO standard height is 14-1/2".
There are fewer and fewers bowls you can buy that come at the low height.

ms604-tile.jpg

MS604114CEFG TOTO Ultramax II

Last edited:

renov8question

Reaction score
Ok, I have done a little "field research" and I guess I actually am ok with a comfort height- my sister's Toto was a little over 17" to the top of the seat and seemed fine. So without the height restriction, what would you recommend for one piece, elongated (yes I did forget to add that) toilet? I looked up the Kohler Santa Rosa recommended above and while Teepster Price has fortunately had no problems I did read some mixed reviews. Does anyone else have experience with the Santa Rosa? Which other one piece, comfort height (is that the same as ADA?), elongated models would you recommend?

santa_rosa_taylor1.jpg

Santa Rosa K-3810

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kohler toilets are fine, they look good, function nicely, they make sure everybody notices the name KOHLER, etc.

Then one day you need replacement parts. At that point, everybody who has a Kohler has a story to tell.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Think about the value over time to you to have toilets that perform well. Do you want to get something totally reliable and never have to think about it again, or is it more important to save $100 per toilet? I started putting in Totos as replacements 10 years ago in my house and now all four are that brand. I have had no problems with any of them...I don't even know where my plunger is anymore. That kind of performance is worth a lot to me.

renov8question

Reaction score
I don't disagree. I'm now thinking of going for the Toto Ultramax II. However, there is such a huge difference in the price if I buy on-line for $412) or my local plumbing supply shop- best price $520. The shop told me that if you buy online Toto will not honor the toilet's warranty. Does anyone know if that's true? I don't see anything on Toto's warranty page about buying online...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluggo

Reaction score
That sounds like baloney, but a quick call to Toto USA's customer service department will confirm the real story.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kohler toilets are fine, they look good, function nicely, they make sure everybody notices the name KOHLER, etc.

Then one day you need replacement parts. At that point, everybody who has a Kohler has a story to tell.
not really, just order up the part. Install and done. Kohler parts last longer then standard toilet parts

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks