Help Toilet Does Not Fit!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Montgomery Wards

Reaction score
Hello, I live in a 1960s house and I've wanted to restore my upstairs bathroom back original American Standard blue. I went out and purchased a nonrefundable 1966 American Standard 4049 tank cadet when I tried to install it I had the bowl all bolted down and attempted to attach the tank it just won fit I'm about 1 inch short!! The flange is give or take a 12 inch rough in and so is this toilet so it should fit, but it doesn't. This is causing much strife and honestly makes no sense!! It's not like I'm putting a 60s toilet in a 5-year-old house, its a 60s toilet in a 60s house!!!!!! There has got to be a simple solution! ( I already tried to cut out the drywall and just jury-rig it but there is a vent pipe)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would check to see what you need for space by putting the tank on first, and then measuring from the bolt slots in the bowl to the vertical of the back of the tank. Most of those old ones were for a 12" rough to the wall. There might have been a very small percentage that were for a 14" rough. Regardless, the old toilets often were fitted pretty close to the wall. In the mid 80's they started moving the tanks forward in case someone had added tile or wainscoting behind on the wall.

Montgomery Wards

Reaction score
@Terry I went ahead and tried putting the tank straight down on to the bowl as opposed to at an angle and I was able to get better a measurement. the bolt holes in the tank and the holes in the bowl are about a half inch apart. This just does not make any sense!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks