HELP! Toilet bolt fell down Waste Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

dy

Reaction score
Ok, my goal was to replace the wax ring...well because the toilet is so difficult to align with the bolts, the toilet shifted and knocked one of the bolts down the waste pipe. I do not see the bolt in the pipe. My shop vac isn't to powerful to retrive it.
Any suggestions on how I can the bolt out of the waste pipe? I wouldn't want to leave it, as it could destroy the whole plumbing system and cause blockage.

Thanks

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
Go to a hardware store and buy a dounut magnet. Tie a string to it and drop it down the waste pipe. Hopefully you'll be able to retrieve the bolt.

Alternatively, remove the magnet from an old audio speaker. Magnets from 8" speakers are quite strong. Put it in a woman's nylon stocking and tie a string securely to the stocking, then cut the excess stocking off.

Good luck,
HRG

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code requires brass bolts. Magnet no workee. And if your closet bend is Iron you'll lose the magnet, too-it'll grip harder than the nylon can hold.Never fear-this will NOT destroy the whole plumbing system. Buy a new set of bolts and a pair of brass or stainless nuts. Install the bolts thru the flange, tighten down the extra nuts over said flange to lock the bolts in place and your golden. But I'm not sure how that bolt went into the pipe in the first place. It probably went below the subfloor into the space between the joists- or your flange is totally wasted.

Last edited:

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
Code requires brass bolts. Magnet no workee. Never fear-this will NOT destroy the whole plumbing system. Buy a new set of bolts and a pair of brass or stainless nuts. Install the bolts thru the flange, tighten down the extra nuts over said flange to lock the bolts in place and your golden. But I'm not sure how that bolt went into the pipe in the first place. It probably went below the subfloor into the space between the joists- or your flange is totally wasted.
The bolts holding down both of our toilets were coroded when I had to remove them many years later, so I thought they were steel bolts. Didn't know brass bolts also corode. Thanks for setting me straight.

HRG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The old ones could be steel (maybe brass plated), but normally still won't cause a big problem...the pipe is large, the bolt is small.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ALL bolts meet code, whether brass or brass plated steel. Unless there is a leak, even the plated ones will NOT rust, and brass ones do NOT rust, although they can get a coating on them if there is a leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks