Help... Toilet blocked, water reflux

Users who are viewing this thread

jojo

Reaction score
We have moved to our newly built house and one of the toilets never flushes correctly. It seemed to do so at the very beginning but not anymore. After flushing, there is constantly a water reflux and it goes down VEEEREEERRYYYY slowly. It helps if I use the plunger but quickly the problem comes back. The plumber says the problem is the manhole that is not correctly donw, but after having opened it, we have realised that there's stuff being blocked before getting to the manhole. We realized this by flushing and using the plunger and seeing that all the poo-poo and paper was slowly coming down.
Is there something blocked on the way? Are the pipes placed too steep? Is it an air vent problem? How can I check the different things? Will I need to break the tiles and replace tubing?

Thank you very much for your help!

Joana

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know what you are calling a manhole, or "tubing", but there is a clog in your line somewhere. You need to get a plumber in with proper equipment to snake through a cleanout, or remove the bowl and snake through the floor. If this is a newly built house, construction debris has been known to get in lines. Also, depending on the layout, you could have an underground line that was crushed.

If snaking does not immediately fix the problem, consider having a camera inspection done on that line to see what's up/

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I sounds like the drain is clogged. Plunging won't clear a drain line, it's too deep in the system. Have a professional auger the line. Do not try chemicals, they don't work either and will create a potential hazard for the the plumber.

jojo

Reaction score
Thank you both for your answers.
What I call the manhole, is the place just outside the house where the pipe finishes meeting the "drainning system" leading to the septic tank. So, the tube comes from the toilet and as soon as it reaches the end of the house wall, it reaches this manhole,which is basically a cement and brick structure located below the level of the toilet.
Because the distance between the toilet and this place is not very far, a person has told us that the problem could lie on the fact that the tube coming from the toilet might be placed with an angle too steep. What is your opinion on that? Could that be the reason? Or do you think that the best bet is really that there is a clot somewhere?

Thanks once again!

Joana

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Start by calling a plumber and having the line snaked, from the toilet out like jimbo said, then see what happens.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pipe can be vertical, it can't be horizontal, it needs a slope down. So, basically, it can't be too steep, but it could be too shallow of a slope. Also, it can't have any dips or sags in it, or stuff will accumulate.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Get one or two 5 gallon buckets of water... pull the toilet and pour the water down the toilet hole flange as fast as possible. If the water backs up in the "tube" so that you can see it then the problem is in the "tube"...if not then it is in the toilet....the second bucket of water is to make sure the problem is not in the "tube". If it is all clear then you can double check by sitting the toilet back in place and pouring a 3rd 5gal bucket of water down the toilet... if no water comes out from the base of the toilet and it's still going down slow then that's another confirmation that the problem is in the toilet.... all this is assuming that the "tube" is vented properly.

jojo

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your suggestions.
I will try to pour the water buckets after pulling the toilet and see what happens! Will keep you updated!
Joana

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks