HELP.....suspect PVC joint under linear drain, and mud base.

Users who are viewing this thread

tmy23

Reaction score
First off, thanks for all help and wisdom. I am building a master bath, with tile shower. I am using a kerdi-line linear drain and could not access the plumbing from below, so once everything was roughed in (2" shower waste line, trap, tied into 3" main waste line. I laid the subfloor, and installed the kerdi-line in it's foam tray with thin-set. The connection was done per the manufacturer using a 2" fernco connecting the stainless outlet of the drain body to a 2" length of pvc. then I primed and glued the pvc stub and the trap and then setting the drain body into the thinset while pushing the pvc into the trap. Smart thing would have been to pull the plastic film off the drain body to see the drain connection but no, I set the sloped mud, kerdi sealed the mud, tied the drain body kerdi membrane into all the other kerdi, and only then, as I was ready to set tile, pulled off the protective film. I was trying to keep junk out of the drain. Well when I looked inside I saw that the trap moved slightly as I pushed the drain into it and PVC stub didn't bottom out into the shoulder on the trap by about 1/4". I don't have any spare fittings around right now, but as I recall, that connection is about 3/4" deep (2" pvc into a 2" PVC trap) so I probably have 1/2" seated Of course I already tied in the drain line into the waste line in the basement, so the only way to test all the way up to the drain body is cut the 3" drain connection in the basement and then water test.

is there anything I can put in that 1/4" space inside the drain to fill where it didn't seat just to be safe....Or am I likely worried about nothing, OR to be safe, I guess I should go down the basement, cut the 3", test it all, and then couple it back together when done?

Duh....

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have any spare fittings around right now, but as I recall, that connection is about 3/4" deep (2" pvc into a 2" PVC trap)
I think that socket will be over an inch deep. Maybe as deep as 1.5 inches.

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
There is no pressure on the piping so a 1/2" glued connection "should" be enough. Your solvent welding the pipes together so as long as there is a full 1/2" surface to surface contact (and since there is no water pressure on the piping) I would not tear it apart.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Buy a plug designed to flood test things, insert it deep enough so it's below the joint in question, then fill the pan with water and see what happens. If you used enough cement, it is probably okay. Schluter lists a flood test in their installation instructions, but some people skip that step. Not always wise. You'll get a little water being absorbed by the grout (and maybe tile, but not if it's porcelain), but if there's a leak, you'll notice it from below and the fact that the level will drop more than a very small amount. Normally, the flood test is done before tiling, so there's little, if anything, to absorb any water, so a drop in level is the telltale of a fault.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks