Help soldering a split copper fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
I had a first time experience and am looking for advice on what I did wrong to avoid this type of problem again. I sweated a bunch of pipe and tested the line and a 1" 90 elbow split on the outside for the first time under pressure. I have never had a new fitting split on me and am wondering if there is something I did wrong or do manufacturer defects happen from time to time in new fittings? I am sure I did not overheat it and I have heated fittings a lot hotter for brazing with no problems. It cost me an hour of time taking everything apart and don't want to go through this again. I'm just a little mystified as to what went wrong on me. How of often does this happen with fittings?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
If you bought some cheap Chinese knockoff fittings, anything can go wrong. Are you buying from a reputable source?
I've never heard of a fitting splitting from soldering. Are you using Propane or MAP gas - or a brazing/welding torch (oxy-acetylene)?

How much pressure are you putting on this piping?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly made soldered joint with quality materials should hold over 1000psi. Now, valves and hoses won't survive that.

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
It's a Nibco fitting - I put 100 PSI of air pressure on it to test it (can't use water because it's cold for the pipes right now), about 30 other Nibco's held just fine, this one did not. I use MAP, soldering, not brazing, but I am gentle with the MAP, I don't go crazy with it....I heat it just enough to solder it and no more and I have brazed Nibco, with no problem so I don't think heat is the issue. Is Nibco junk? Maybe it's just a defect? I was wondering if there is something I could have done wrong to the fitting

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Nibco (Northern Indiana Brass co.) is good. Probably got a defective fitting. Some idiot may have mucked up a fitting they bought then returned it to HD (as if nothing was wrong with it) where it went back into the bin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks