Help sizing a water softener, water report included

Users who are viewing this thread

NickCamp

Reaction score
Hi Guys, First time poster long time lurker...
Just recently the cabinet style water softener that came with our property started to leak, so it has been disconnected, and I am ready to purchase something that will last. There are currently 4 people living in the house and I would prefer salt efficiency over utilizing the maximum grains a softener is advertised for. I have attached a water test report i just had done and am by no means a water expert, I would appreciate any suggestions on softener size and or brands.
Water 1.jpg
Water 2.jpg
Water 3.jpg
Water 4.jpg

Thank you guys! I hope i attached my water report correctly

Nick

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice water. Set Hardness (H) to 15 in the softener.

Softener with Fleck 5810SXT controller. 1.5 cubic ft of resin. At 240 gallons per day, expect the unit to regenerate every 7 or 8 days.

With 3/4 inch plumbing, the 5800SXT controller might be a good choice.

Looks like an expensive water test. Care to tell us about it?

NickCamp

Reaction score
Thank you for the input! The plumbing is 3/4 inch is there a big difference between the fleck 5810sxt and the 5800sxt?

The test wasn't to crazy about $280 if I recall, they are one of the few state certified labs and weren't to far away so they were able to get the bacteria test going within 45 min or so of the sample being taken.

Reach4

Reaction score
The 5810 and 5800 controllers refill the brine tank with softened water. The 5600 refills the brine tank with hard water. Not a big deal, but the soft water refill should let you go longer between brine tank cleanings. That might be 6 years instead of 5. I don't know. I expect impurities in the salt to be the bigger factor.

The 58xxXTR2 controllers offer some fancier features that could be interesting, and sometimes useful in controlling injection. I find the SXT easier because that is what I have. The XTR is probably easier for many others.

I am more sensitive to test costs than you. However the speed the test was significant to you. I see WETLAB even picks up samples in their area on a schedule. Did they do the sampling? Positive bacterial results are often because of improper sampling.

Last edited:

NickCamp

Reaction score
The 5810 and 5800 controllers refill the brine tank with softened water. The 5600 refills the brine tank with hard water. Not a big deal, but the soft water refill should let you go longer between brine tank cleanings. That might be 6 years instead of 5. I don't know. I expect impurities in the salt to be the bigger factor.

The 58xxXTR2 controllers offer some fancier features that could be interesting, and sometimes useful in controlling injection. I find the SXT easier because that is what I have. The XTR is probably easier for many others.

I am more sensitive to test costs than you. However the speed the test was significant to you. I see WETLAB even picks up samples in their area on a schedule. Did they do the sampling? Positive bacterial results are often because of improper sampling.

I did do the sampling, but they did give some specific sampling instructions. Basically bleach the faucet prior to sampling with some scrubbing for a minute then run the faucet for 15 minutes. Then just wear gloves and don't set down the collection jars while you are taking the sample.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks