Help - setting schedule 80 pipe/pump in 400' well

Users who are viewing this thread

Alan P

Reaction score
I have a new 555' well, 300' static, 3 GPM. I have purchased 400' of 1" schedule 80 pipe + also bought a 'pipe elevator' and 'pipe jack' for 1" size pipe.

I have NEVER set a pump before, but read this forum. Do I need and tripod to set the pump? I figure total weight of the 400' pipe, wire, pump to be about 225LBS without water. Will the pipe/pump/wire get lighter once I touch water at 300' or so? I was hoping to install the pump using a makeship "boom" of 3" pipe bolted to the side of my trailer for weight lifting/ holding of the pipe elevator. ANY advice would be most appreciated!

Speedbump

Reaction score
The best advice I have for a setting that deep is: Call a professional! You have a brand new well. One slip and the guy that comes out to go fishing in your brand new well is going to enjoy charging you by the hour to "try" to fish the lost items from your well. If he can't get them, you may be needing another brand new well.

The savings, sometimes are just not worth the risk.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Usually a taper tap and a set of jars. Using 1" pipe in my case with a pump hoist that is equipped with a walking beam that you can do some serious beating up and down with. If the taper tap won't grab it, you can build a bell socket and try that. Most of the tools that are used beyond that are custom built by the fisherman in charge. It always helps to know what you are fishing for, but in most cases your going in blind.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Every pump man has dropped a few pumps. That is how you learn what not to do. Everything in the pump business is learned by trial and error. The more pumps you have installed, the more errors have been made, and the more you learn. That is why experienced pump installers know more about pumps and wells than engineers. You can never learn from books, what can be learned from things like actually fishing out a few pumps.

R

Rancher

I've never seen one dropped, or dropped one myself, which is why I asked Speedbump how it was retrieved. I guess if I was in the business of getting paid to put pumps in, I probably might drop one... but I learn real quick, that would have been the last one I dropped...
Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks