Help selecting a water softener system

Users who are viewing this thread

Anh Dang

Reaction score
Hi,

I finished building a new house recently and wants to put in a water softener to protect it. I have been lurking this forum for 10 months while the house was building but still couldn't figure out how to select a dependable system that meets my needs.

My house is 3000 sq ft, 3.5 baths (2 shower heads in master), 2 adults but my relatives may move in so possible (5 adults, 3 kids).

I'm planning on having whole house filtration with Homemaster Two Stage + Water Softener
and a Point of Use RO system under the sink.

Edit: The main valve is plastic 1". There is no plumbing loop or open drain so I have to put those in.

Here is my city water report:
Chloride (ppm) 65.3
Iron (ppb) ND
Manganese (ppb) 4.47
pH 8.65
Calcium (ppm) 60.7
Magnesium (ppm) 4.47
Total Hardness [as CaCO3] (ppm) 191

I used the calculator on AWFilters.com and it said I should use a dual-tank 64k grain with Fleck 9100SXT. So I am looking at one of their systems with purolite resin. Are their meters genuine Fleck devices? Is a service flow rate of 10 GPM and peak 15 GPM adequate? Is that the correct capacity?

I appreciate any advice on this. The information on water softener system is confusing. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A twin alternating is not a bad idea but the cost/maintenance will likely not be desirable compared to the simplicity of a single tank system. You will lose a tiny bit of efficiency with a single tank system, but certainly not enough to care about.

Anh Dang

Reaction score
15953463726604674247685727772824.jpg
20200208_093718.jpg

Anh Dang

Reaction score
I plan on adding a plumbing loop right after the main valve and use the nearby drain vent for the softener discharge.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
you've got city water with no iron and 11 gpg hardness... frankly you could get by without a softener, but by no means do you need a twin 64k system, good lord. get a 30k cabinet softener from menards and pay a handyman (or your builder) $100 to install it and you'll be good for 10 years. for reference I have 32 gpg hardness, 3ppm Fe, and iron bacteria on well water, so I have a bit of experience dealing with water issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks