Help! Rough in done wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Londa Salazar

Reaction score
New Construction
I hired all contractors myself.
Everyone has been great except the plumber- there have been multiple issues from him and many things he did wrong.
Here is my problem and question: all toilet water supply lines are installed way off center (20inches avg) and are functional, but ugly.
I see lots of websites giving standard rough in of 7 inches high and 6 inches from center.

Is standard dimension part of code-IPC, UPC, or just suggested standards?
Can someone please give me the source that says this is wrong unprofessional, or not to code?

toilet-rough-mistake-1.jpg

toilet-rough-1.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The drain should be at least 15" from center to the side wall for a total of 30".
A 12" rough would measure from the back wall.
There is no code for where the water supply should go though.

I do prefer putting the valve at least 7" off center now though because some skirted bowls can use the distance so that the shutoff doesn't hit the bowl. But that's just a preference, not a code.

I wonder if there is a pocket door hidden in the back wall.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Can someone please give me the source that says this is wrong unprofessional, or not to code?
I am not a plumber or other pro. I can call it unprofessional if the walls were open, and you did not tell the plumber to do things the cheapest way, and if you accurately described the situation. But I am not the citation you want.

When I saw there was a picture, I was expecting to see a photo of your worst case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks