Help, roller stuck in toilet... What to do..

Users who are viewing this thread

Gina

Reaction score
UPDATE Help, roller stuck in toilet... What to do..UPDATE

My 7 year old some how flushed our 6 or 7 inch wooden toilet paper roller down the toilet... When I flush the water goes down, but much slower and it doesnt get the good gulp at the end of the flush.....

What can i do to try to get the wooden roller out of the toilet...

Please help

thaks
gina

SCROLL DOWN I POSTED AN UPDATE ABOUT THE ROLLER......

THAKS YOU EVERY ONE WHO HELPED, BUT I NEED MORE HELP NOW.....

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is probably stuck in the trap, the p-shaped inner channel of the toilet that prevents all of the water from just running down the drain. A toilet auger might get it out, or you might have to pull the toilet off of the floor and try to push it back out from the bottom. Those things can be a pain as with the spring in them, they can expand and not want to come back out...it is a pain to get it just so so you can compress it so it will fit back out.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try can try a toilet auger or your hand if it will fit. Put a rubber glove on if your squemish. It shouldn't have gone to far.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gina, it really needs to come out the way it went in, from the top. You don't want something like that to get into the drain line as it will cause blockage. There are two ways to get it out. If you're lucky, you can either reach it with you hand and pull it free or if it's too far in for that perhap you could snag it with a bend wire. Most likely though, you will have to pull the toilet and knock it out from the under side. To do this, turn off the water supply and flush the toilet. Then sponge out the inside of the tank (there's alway some water left). Now disconnect the water supply line. Next dip and sponge the water from the toilet bowl. Any water you don't get out of the tank and/or the bowl will end up on the floor, so try to get it all. You will find a nut on each side of the toilet base, usually under decorative caps. Remove these nuts. Sometimes they are corroded so badly that the bolts will break instead of the nuts unscrewing, but that's not a big problem. With these two nuts removed, you can rock the toilet and break the wax ring seal. Then the toilet can be lifted off of the flange and you will have access to the underside and should be able to knock that roller out. Once you have that done, the toilet has to be reinstalled. Assuming you have a wax ring, this must be cleaned off. Use a putty knife, old kitchen knife, or whatever you can find to scrape it off. Rubber gloves will handy here. When the ring is removed and the horn on the toilet is clean, you can replace the tee bolts and nuts if needed. The tee bolts fit in the flange and will be longer than needed, use the length of the old bolts to determine where to cut the new ones. You have a choice of a new wax ring or the newer waxless ring. If you use a wax ring, put it on the flange and carefully lower the toilet one to it, making certain the horn on the underside fits into the ring and the two flange bolts go through the hole in the base. If you use the waxless ring, disregard the installation instructions and put the ring on the horn first. Now lower the toilet over the flange making sure the snout of the ring fits into the flange and again that the bolts fit into the holes. Rock the toilet and apply downward pressure to seat the ring (either kind) When you seat the toilet on the flange, it should rest firmly on the floor all the way around. Now install the nuts and washers on the flange bolts. These bolts are not used to pull the toilet down into place, just to hold it so they are just snugged down. Reconnect the water supply line, turn it on to fill the tank and you are back in business. Don't try to handle the toilet alone unless you are fairly brawny! They are fairly heavy and awkward to handle. Also lining the ring and flange bolts is really hard to do alone.

Gina

Reaction score
I am going to try a auger tomorrow. I am just afraid I will push it further down and then affect the rest of the houses plumbing. I am a renter and dont want to make things worse.... This is a all wooden roller no springs. They way the water takes to go down , I have a feeling it is so close but i just cant touch it....... And oh boy is that water cold.... I hope the auger cant touch it and it will pop up , back into the bowl. Does that sound reasonable...

Wish me luck....... And oh this toilet is very old , the pipe conncetion is metal and not those plastic/or spirial Metal connections...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
NO, NO, NO. Don't use an auger, that would tend to push the roller in deeper and then you will have a problem. It has to come out from the bowl side.

booster

Reaction score
You may want to use a baster and sponge to get the water out of the bowl, and then let the 7 year old see if smaller hands can reach the roller. Even if they can't reach it, it may make the lesson more meaningful.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
roller

In my humble opinion, I don't think that you can push it all the way through by auguring from the bowl. I would try to get the head of the auger past the roller and try to hook it and if that won't work you may have to lift the toilet and lay it on it's side and push the roller to the way it got in or if you see it, figure a way to turn it or break it to get it out..............whew........

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know for a fact that the roller will push through, but I sure would chance it. If it did get through and wedge in the mainline, you'd have to get a pro with an auger big enough to chew it up. I repeat that I'd first try to reach it, and using the child might work. If reaching it didn't work, then I'd just pull the toilet. Pulling a toilet isn't really all that bad of a job. You are working where it's warm, dry, well lit, and you are not crawling in a spidery crawl space. I assure you that you handle lots of things that are less sanitary than this toilet.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can always call a plumber to do it if you feel like you don't want to fool with it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
roller

Remove the water from the bowl with a vacuum or sponge. Then using a small mirror and flashlight look up into the drain passage. The roller should be stuck right at the top of it. Bend a coat hanger and use it to wiggle the roller and it will/should drop back down so you can remove it.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
Stick your hand in there and pull it out.
I've washed thousand of cloth diapers out in toilet bare handed, you can stick your hand in the toilet to put out a stick of wood.

Gina

Reaction score
Hi Guys

This toilet is an older toilet and I can barley find the hole in the back where the roller should be... But I got wire and made a little hook and i tried and I treid with no luck.

BUT NOW

The Dare toilet flushed great... I am so scared I pushed it down.... The water is going down fast and I hear that gulp sound when the water finished flushing... This is an older house so I have no idea how the pipes are .

I was wondering if I could put a piece of toilet papaer in the toilet and flush it and have my husband go down stairs and open the trap and see if he see's the paper flow by. If he does , does that mean that the roller has flushed out to the main line in to the street.....

How will I know when and if I soved this problem, we use this bath room , only my kids pee in there so we havent let any toilet paper go in there, but we have two bathrooms, so will the toilet paper from the other toilet start to get clogged if the roller is some where in the pipes...

Is it possible that the roller is all the way out of the pipes and into the sewer...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Load it up with paper, flush, and see what happens. It will work or plug. Then you will know for sure.

:)

Gina

Reaction score
Cass said:
Load it up with paper, flush, and see what happens. It will work or plug. Then you will know for sure.

:)

OMG I am so Scared to do this......... Will it affect both toilets..... SHOULD I GO DO IT NOW.. If it clogs what then.....

Can I still use the other toilet? Or will that clog if the roller didnt get all the way out......

CASS Will it clog right away or will it have to have a built up of toilet paper?

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It will clog on the first or 2nd flush with a good amount of paper. It is the only way to know. The other toilet should be fine.

You know, you want to know, and this is the only way.

Be brave, go for it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm guessing the roller passed into the drainline. It may or may not still be in there, but as long as it doesn't get crosswise, it won't hurt anything. It's most likely that it has washed on through and is long gone. :)

Gina

Reaction score
Ok Guys

I put in toilet paper and flushed went down to slow, I see paper kinda stay right in the back of toilte before it went down.

Ok did it again and the water was much slower.

Then I flushed with no paper in it and the water level rose to the top of the bowl , I thought it was going to over flow. Darn.... What am I going to do now. Where do you think the roller is now. Still close enough to try and reach it or in the trap?

I am afraid to flush again.

Ok flushed it and the water leave come to almost the top of the Bowl is, the water twistest and goes down the bowl but with no good force and I dont here that good gulp at the end......

HELP...............WHAT NOW.....

Gina

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
roller

if the roller was a one piece wooden one, like you said, it is too long to go around the bends in the toilet. A closet auger should dislodge it and let it fall back down into the toilet, but you have to get all the water out or the roller will just float on top of the water and get stuck again the next time you flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks