Help Request: Iron Bacteria

Users who are viewing this thread

Jordan Keck

Reaction score
So I have a new house with a new well that was drilled last year. We moved in finally a few weeks ago, so water usage has been limited until then. I would like to give the back story to bring everyone up to speed:

I initially started off with a simple softener only setup. I filled a bathtub and noticed that the water was a yellowish color.

1539962708592.jpg

I sent a water raw, unsoftened water sample off to be tested by a company that sells various systems, and this was their finding:

I tested all water parameters.

The pH is in a good range (7.6), hardness 13 grains with a trace amount of iron.

I ran the sample through a mini tannin media filter and there was a visible reduction in the color. The balance of the color is oxidized iron

The recommendation was to then install a tannin system, which eliminated the discoloration in the water. However, I found that if I left water sit in a bathtub for a few days that it would still discolor.

CLEAR WATER IRON 11-20-2018.jpg

I am also getting the reddish slimy film inside of the toilet bowl. The water also has sort of an irony smell out of the shower or sink while the water is running.

I then took samples directly from the kitchen sink faucet which had been through the softener, 5 micron filter, and tannin system to Element Labs here in Indiana, and they did both an IRB test and a total iron test. Here are the results of both of those tests:
  • IRB: 9000 DVU/mL
  • Iron: 0.326 mg/mL
So at this point, do I have enough information to move forward? Could this be as simple as disinfecting my well? Do I need to do additional testing? I am looking at the most cost effective way to move forward, but my goal is to eliminate the residue in the toilet bowls, as well as the smell when showering or running water. Any help would be appreciated!

Jordan

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score

Bannerman

Reaction score
I initially started off with a simple softener only setup.
You said this before including the photo with the yellowish water, but then said you sent THAT water to be tested, which I then understood, the test sample was obtained from the bathtub or bathtub faucet. With a hardness level of 13 grains per gallon and a trace amount of iron, either the test sample was raw, unsoftened water or, the softener was bypassed or otherwise not working at the time.

With iron bacteria, although not necessarily harmful, is usually not desired. With any type of bacteria, sanitation with chlorine is the usual recommendation. Sanitizing the well would be a reasonable initial course of action.

Jordan Keck

Reaction score
Bannerman, I apologize for the lack of clarity with regards to source of the sample that was tested. You are correct that the sample was raw, from the spigot right out of the well, before the softener. I corrected my first post to note the source of the sample that was tested.

Reach4, the odor of the water is a little hard to describe, but its not the usual rotten egg smell that I have experienced in the past with sulfur. I saw on a document from the state of Minnesota that they referred to iron bacteria as having a "swampy" smell, and that might be the closest way that I would describe what I am observing.

I do currently have a 20" cartridge filter with a 5 micron filter after my softener and before my tannin system. I apologize for not posting a pic of the current system! Here is what I have:

20181029_171719_resized.jpg

I will definitely try out the well and plumbing sanitizing in the near future and see what affect that has on the water quality! The place that I purchased the tannin system from also recommended using this non-chemical filter:

https://www.affordablewater.us/Pyro...ese-Filter-075-Cu-Ft-Free-Shipping-P1866.aspx

JDmich

Reaction score
DIY'er here so take with a grain of salt... I've been dealing with IRB myself and did a fair bit of research. Also spoke with 2 well drillers in my area. They know the local water... and they see the problems daily. Also quoted a few water treatment systems then ended up going DIY. I found that you can sanitize the well but it just comes back in a few months. Tried myself with chlorine pellets... Then hired a well driller to use a chemical called Steriline. That worked for a while but it came back. As far as equipment options i found chlorine injection & peroxide injection we're probably most effective but I did not want the ongoing maintenance and cost. Air injection with ozone is another alternative. Air injection without ozone is bad and will make IRB worse. UV doesn't work for IRB due to its protective outer layer. I wanted a one unit solution so I went with a water right sanitizer. The media is zeolite vs resin. The brine elbow is charged and supposedly chlorinates the media bed to cut down on bacteria. My IRB count was on the lower side so hopefully it works. Only been installed 2 weeks so verdict is still out. The smell is gone anyway. Bummer for you is that you already bought a Tanin system. In those shoes I might just add a chlorine or peroxide injector and contact tank. Or if your tight on space a mixing valve. Ideally (if the media are compatible) u would inject upstream of the Tanin filter and softener so the IRB isn't gunking up the media beds. PS if u want to be super sure of what's in the water you can do a full lab test. I lived here 10 years and didn't care but had a kid last year and spent $300 to test for everything I could. Arsenic is pretty common in my area but we were good. I agree though that sanitizing the well is good first course of action. Problem might just disappear.

Attachments

• 20190526_220929.jpg
    20190526_220929.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 216

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Good idea but..

Check the specs, you will notice a huge drop in efficiency with the media compared to modern resins. Not a big deal, just an FYI. The chlorine generator is a fairly common and simple design and should do ok for very low levels of iron bacteria. A simple chlorine injection or even tablet system, contact tank, and carbon bed would be preferable for most applications but if you are lacking space then the all in one designs may be your only option.

JDmich

Reaction score
Thanks Ditttohead. I did notice the efficiency difference when I was running my salt usage calculations a while back. I upsized the unit to cover my hypothetical planned future use (growing family).

So far my only complaint is the level of noise during back wash.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks