Help replacing flush valve on Mansfield 160

Users who are viewing this thread

RGV bird

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Replacing the guts of a toilet for the first time. Things have been going swimmingly until I took the tank off of the base last night. I removed all the bolts and the fill valve no problem, but the threaded side of the flush valve seems completely stuck to the underside of the tank. Upon closer inspection it looks like it was bonded with some kind of clear adhesive. I've already committed to replacing all of the toilet innards with Fluidmasters complete repair kit, so I really cannot back out now.

Any tips on how to get the flush valve off?

Thanks for any tips.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You many need to cut and peel that off. Then take a knife blade to clean the Silicone off.
The Fluidmaster rebuild kit works well on that tank.

The bowl will still plug too often. I can't begin to tell you how many I've pulled out and "recycled" to the dump. They make good roadways I hear.

flush-valve-cut.jpg

Here is an old brass flush valve that I had to take a hack saw to. Make a cut in the nut and you can then pry it off.

flush-valve-replacement-2.jpg

This one is off of an American Standard tank.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Me I like the Korky kit, having rehabbed a number of toilets with it, now. But no question the Fluidmaster kit is popular, and anything is an improvement over the Mansfield setup.

In addition to Terry's suggestions, you might try turning that nut with a big pair of channel locks, to give you a bunch of leverage. If it doesn't go, I would Dremel it with perpendicular cuts; so you end up with two 1/2-circle sections and see if it won't come right off then. If not, you should then be able to pry it off once you have cut it. A hacksaw might do the same thing for you, but the Dremel is more nimble. I had a big old metal nut on one tank that I couldn't get free, as it had been on there since 1955. At HJ's suggestion, I cut it as above and I could just pick the pieces right off; then I could just slide the flush valve out of the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks