Help replacing a (Moen?) shower valve/trim/knob

Users who are viewing this thread

doughpat

Reaction score
Hi all -

I was told this was the place to come for my little issue.

I recently noticed that the shower knob had somehow become reversed (either that or I've totally lost my marbles). I.e. turn to the left (counterclockwise) used to be hot, now turn to the left is cold! (and of course turning to the right is now hot).

No idea how this could have happened, but two possibilities I can think of:

1.) i've lost my mind and it was always this way (not a shower I use frequently...but I do clean it often!)
2.) Something in the cartridge somehow has allowed it to spin 180

If its possiblity 1, I want to change the trim/knob anyway, because its ugly and old (and doesnt match the showerhead anyway)
If its possibility 2, I definitely want to change the cartridge, and while I'm at it I want to modernize the look a bit anyway.

SO! All paths lead to Rome here -- time for a new trim/knob/cartridge/valve etc.

I'm a newbie that knows enough to be dangerous. Done a bit of plumbing (including changing bad cartridges) and have GC'd one home.

I think that actually DOING the task will be fairly straighforward....its having the right replacement parts where I'm struggling. The real challenge is that in order to do this swap, I have to turn off water to the whole house....and there are tenants. SO -- I really need to have everything on hand.

Can anyone point me towards the right type of replacement parts for this particular model? I know its old, and you aren't getting paid...but you'd sleep well knowing you've helped a stay-at-home-dad schmuck who definitely cant afford a proper plumber right now!

I filmed a quick video showing the problem, thought that might be helpful: https://youtu.be/ySObHMWDb0I

Attachments

• IMG_5919.jpg
    IMG_5919.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_5920.jpg
    IMG_5920.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5918.jpg
    IMG_5918.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5917.jpg
    IMG_5917.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 169

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That takes a 1200 or 1225 cartridge. It's reversible, so taking the handle off, you can turn the stem 180 and that reverses it.

moen-2600-parts-terrylove-01.jpg

Standard trim replacement below.

moen-2600-parts-terrylove-02.jpg

Here is the TL470 trim only
TL470 trim with shower head

moen-tl473-1.jpg

moen-tl173-pic.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks