Help removing GE Osmonics Valve from tank

Users who are viewing this thread

AR9

Reaction score
Long story short - I moved into a house and took this tank out of service which I thought was a water softener. The blue stains started showing up in the tub and I realized it was a acid neutralizer so now I need to put it back in service. It has been sitting for about 2 years so I want to clean it out and add new material to it, but I cannot get the valve unscrewed from the top of the tank. I've tried with two people. Am I missing something here? It is an old GE Osmonics 255/440i valve. I have checked the manuals I have found online and it looks like it just screws off at the tank. Like I said, the whole unit is already disconnected from the water lines and everything and has been sitting for about 2 years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I am just about to give up and buy a new one.

Thanks

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Use a dead blow rubber mallet and "GENTLY" tap it in the back to encourage it to come off the tank. Should work easily.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tap here?

Attachments

• img_6.jpg
    img_6.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 335
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks