Help removing brass closet flange from copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

mappley811

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove a damaged brass closet flange from a 3" copper drain pipe. It's my understanding that the flange is soldered to the pipe in the same way that copper water lines are soldered, so I'm trying to un-sweat it. But something's happening with the sewer gasses when the pipe starts to warm up, and the flame seems to be drawn down the pipe instead of concentrating at the top. I've spent a lot of time trying to get the pipe/flange hot enough to release with no results. Any tips for dealing with the draft issue? I might also go out and get a MAP torch.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Two good MAP turbo torches working together work even better. If you were using small type propane tank/torch, it is not much heat.

mappley811

Reaction score
Two good MAP turbo torches working together work even better. If you were using small type propane tank/torch, it is not much heat.
I'm seeing online that modern MAP (which is actually MAP/pro) only burns like 10% hotter than propane. They don't make true MAPP anymore. Does the extra 10% make a noticeable difference in heating time?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Torch that is under size doesn't matter how long its heating a big fitting will never get it hot enough. The heat is also heating the pipe and traveling down its length. Mapp torch get one with a big tip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks