Help removing a brass shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

BigEdgar

Reaction score
Showerdude - I tried your cris-crossed screwdriver trick and it worked! I was able to get the old drain out. I've got a Wingtite on order as I think the add'l cost will be worth it for the ease of installation and repair.

Thanks to all the people on this forum that have helped me out - you guys are terrific!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It would have been a lot easier to remove the compression ring BEFORE you unfastened the locknut under the shower, because that would have helped stabilize the drain and kept it from turning while you tried to rotate the compression ring.

mcwalschot

Reaction score
Did you understand my point about using 2 screwdrivers in a crisscross to gain leverage and try that? I realize you are a tad scared of a sawzall, but really its not so hard to remove that drain by cutting the top flange very carefully and brass is preety soft.. I dont see any other Magic options. Even HJ gave up on you, but hes grumpy at times and quits to quick ...:):)

Im thinking Terry should just stop by your jobsite and save the day while posting about it on his own forum. A win win.?

If my screwdriver comment lost you take a peak here

mcwalschot

Reaction score
My son and I used your trick after trying to remove the brass castle nut for hours with no luck. The crisscross idea is great! Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks