Help purchasing Water softener system

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerry813

Reaction score
I was quoted 4000 for a water system and have decided to go the diy route. I live in swfl.
Water was tested here are the results.
ph 7.2 , hardness (C2CO3) 19 gpg, Iron 0, H2S 2.0
Tannins 4, TDS 310
My water requirements are 75 gallons per person
75 x 3 = 225
225 x 19 = 4275
4275 x 7 = 30k
Based on my calculation I would need a 32k system with resin capacity of 1.5 cu.ft.
I was looking at purchasing either a fleck 7000sxt or a clack ws1 and adding an aio system for the sulfur. Am I missing anything or off on what equipment i need.

Reach4

Reaction score
Based on my calculation I would need a 32k system with resin capacity of 1.5 cu.ft.
I don't have info for you otherwise, mainly due to the tannins, but I thought I would point out that "32000" is code for a 1 cubic ft softener, and 48000 is code for a 1.5 cubic ft.

The actual softening should should be less than those nominal grains for an efficient softener, but those numbers are an established convention.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is more complex than what you have. if you want to get rid of Tannins you will need to address that. it is a different treatment process than the h2s reduction. hardness can be dealt with at the same time as the Tannins in most cases.

AIO for H2S can work but it is hit and miss and you will typically have to deal with airy water in some locations.

My preference would be a simple H2o2 injection ahead of a Katalox light system for much better h2s reduction, then an Ecomix or similar design softener which will take care fo tannins and hardness as well as iron if present.
The 7000 is discontinued as of last year.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have dealt with tannins in central Fl very effectively and have had successful applications using an AIO style system for sulfur. The AIO system uses a Fleck valve. I use a Clack (IM AIR) valve instead along with catalyst carbon and have had great results.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Jerry, I would highly recommend you contact Skip (Mialynette), I have worked with him for many years and he understands your local water conditions better then any online reseller would. His pricing is also very reasonable and his knowledge of local water conditions is exceptional.

Jeffrey Bogert

Reaction score
What about a fleck 2510 paired with a 9x48 tank layered 1st with your choice of 1 cuft cation and then a strong base anion such as purolite a850( resin tech also makes one can't remember it's name) on top for tannins.

ditttohead

Reaction score
What is the hardness? Hardness above 10 GPG should be softened prior to going into an anion resin. Mixed beds have a tendency to cause a lot of precipitation of minerals that can foul the tank, but there are ways around that. Why go with that small of a tank. A 9x48 is only going to be able to handle 1 ft3 of media, no room left for an anion layer. The 2510 is a decent valve but there are many newer valves from Fleck and Clack that are much better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks