Help plumbing my new garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven W.

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a 30x40 steel building (garage) in my back yard. I have been digging the 12â€x16†footing for the concrete slab and plumbing for a water hose faucet and a sink faucet, including drain. My question is, can I run 1†schedule 40, PVC water line along the bottom of the footing and cover it with concrete? Does the water line have to be sleeved? There are already several existing water lines (sprinkler) crossing the footing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
there,s two issues here

when a pipe is running horozontally in the bottom of concrete, and into the concrete, it will crack and weaken the concrete. best pratice is to go under the concrete, then come up vert. in a sleeve. how about a drain line for a wash sink, toilet ect? not a bad idea to run one extra 3" or 4" pvc with a long sweep 90 in the back wall slab area, in the slab. this is handy in the future to pull in what ever. i,m a gen. contr. myself. don,t forget plenty of elec. for that welder!

Steven W.

Reaction score
The area where I have the water line run, the concrete will be approx 24" thick. It wouldn't be a big problem to burry the pipe though. I have burried a 4" drain pipe for a floor drain and will be tieing the sink drain to the 4". Does the sink drain need to be in a sleeve? Thank you for the reply!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pvc

Depending on what the 1" pvc is for, and where it is going, as far as its water usage, you might not want to use PVC in the first place. It is not the most durable material and if it is going to be under concrete or inside a wall, you need a different material for the water line.

Steven W.

Reaction score
Depending on what the 1" pvc is for...
The 1" pvc is for 1) a water hose, and 2) a wash sink. I thought pvc was the #1 choice for plumbing these days. I was going to have 3/4" galvinized pipe coming up through the concrete with a boiler valve on the end.

Don,t forget plenty of elec. for that welder!
Got it covered. Bought the breaker/load center today.

BTW, this garage is for my son (2 yrs old) and me to play with our hobby (street/strip mustang).

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
1' K copper is wise under a slab

use abs or pvc for the sleeves. i work in the trades with my 34 year old son. I, m blessed. take lots of pictures togeather

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you'll find that copper is the #1 choice for water lines. PEX has made some converts, but I think there are still some questions about its longevity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks