HELP, outside light has gone crazy

Users who are viewing this thread

uselesswithwiring

Reaction score
so, i notice earlier that the outside light isnt turning off, its a small flood in a pir sensor.

This is a problem as it's getting kindof hot and the neighbours wont be pleased if its on all night, so i try changing the settings, and knock it to the shortest time period to be on.

all this does is make a strobe light. so, seeing as whovever wired it up didnt think to give it a switch i face the prospect of unwiring it in the dark, or i do what i did, and pull the bulb.

so now its still swtiching itself on and off about once a minute, but theres no light coming from it, and therefore no heat.

now i know the pir has probarbly broken and that i should just replace the whole unit. the question i want to ask, as this is literally going to keep me up all night, is -

do i need to worry about shorts / fire / other catastrophes leaving a buldbless light to switch itself on and off ?all night so i can disconnect it in the orning when i can see what i'm doing

any helpful response that dosent envolve me up a ladder in the dark would be greatfully received :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's on that circuit? Could you shut off the circuit breaker?

The electronics probably are shot, but probably aren't drawing much current. I don't think I'd lose sleep over it, but if I could, I'd shut the breaker off. You need to do that to replace it anyway.

uselesswithwiring

Reaction score
I did think of that, but its on th4e same curcuit as the garage i think, and theres a freezer in there.

obviously in the cold light of day i'll disconnect it totally and but a terminator block on, at least untill i have a replacement unit, but thats nigh impossible in the dark, on my own, up a ladder.

it's reassuring to hear you wouldnt lose sleep, because that's what i was planning to do. :)

I turned the "on time" right down in an attempt to have it drawing less current, (even though i know there no bulb so it shouldnt be drawing any) and the clicking of the tmer is just unnerving, and being the electrical luddite that i am, it worrys me.

wierd, i'm well into my technology but electricity itself is like magic to me, a source of fear and wonder.
so yeah, cant shut the breaker off, am planning to lose sleep, and was just looking for if i should be as worried as i am :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme have a relay that supplies the power to the bulb, some use all electronic switches...in either case, it probably isn't drawing over a watt while it is energized.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
With the bulbs removed there is no load. The closing and opening of the relay doesn't create any type of arc because of the no load situation. All its doing is clicking - making noise, but harmless in the short term. I'd remove the PIR as soon as practical though.

Funny thing as I just had one go the same way on my place up north. Its was clicking on and off 2-3 times a second. I just pulled the bulb and replaced the motion sensor in the morning.

-rick

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. But if you want complete peace of mind: Find a burned out bulb and put it in the socket. Then you won't have to worry about it any more than any other burned out bulb.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks