Help optimizing Fleck 5600sxt 48k

Users who are viewing this thread

DLK

Reaction score
I just installed a water softener and found this site as I was researching optimal settings. I may have bought a little bigger unit than I actually need. But any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Softener equipment:
Fleck 5600sxt
48k grain unit
1.5 cu/ft, 10% crosslink resin

City water; Hardness: 25 Iron: .05

Number people: 2

Current settings
DF = GAL
VT = dF 1b
CT = Fd
NT = 1
C = 48
H = 25
RS = rc
RC = 150
DO = 14
RT = 2:00
BW = 10
BD = 60
RR = 10
BF = 14
FM = P0.7

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your softener size is appropriate but to improve salt efficiency, the Capacity setting should be reduced to 36K grains which will require 12 lbs salt every regeneration cycle. If you provide the BLFC rating (normally indicated on a label located nearby to the brine line connection), we can help with the appropriate BF setting.

How did you obtain the water Hardness amount? Since municipal water is often obtained from multiple sources, each with a unique hardness level, hardness should be tested at your specific location. If you are installing and maintaining your own softener, obtaining a Hach 5b Total Hardness Test kit is recommended. It is also recommended to program 2-3 additional grains hardness to your test result so as to anticipate hardness variance which can occur due to fluctuating water use throughout the city each day, distribution system maintenance, seasonal variables etc.

City water being chlorinated will oxidize the iron measured at the water source and so will not impart any additional hardness load on your softener.

You may wish to reduce the Rapid Rinse setting to 5 minutes which will save approx 12 gallons water each regen cycle.

Last edited:

DLK

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.

The BLFC is .50 gpm 1.5 LB Salt/Min

I tested the water hardness with Hach Sofchek Test Strips. I've made multiple test over the past couple months, it's been pretty consistent around 25. The water dept says 22-25 hardness is normal in the city. Thanks for the tip on the iron test kit, I used the city results for the iron measurement since their hardness was similar to my results.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Sorry, I mistakenly said 'Iron' test kit when I should have said 'Hardness'. I edited my previous posting

As 12 lbs salt will be needed to regenerate 36K grains of usable capacity, then your BF setting should be reduced to 8 minutes. 8 minutes BF X 0.5 gpm BLFC = 4 gallons. Each gallon entering the brine tank will dissolve 3 lbs salt. This setting will provide a maximum salt efficiency of 3,000 grains per pound.

For alternate capacity, salt settings and efficiencies, see Ditttohead's newest chart in this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/softener-not-getting-to-0-gpg-hardness.81594/

View the line for 1.5 cuft of resin. The usually recommended capacity and salt settings for 1.5 cuft are 31.5K grains requiring 9 lbs salt or, 36K grains which require 12 lbs salt. The chart's salt specifications are stated as lbs per cuft of resin.

Using a hardness setting of 28 grains and 2 people each using an estimated average of 75 gallons day, your estimated softening load will be 75 X 2 X 28 = 4,200 grains/day.

With 36K capacity / 4,200 = 8.5 days - 1 day reserve = 7 days estimated between regeneration cycles. As your softener utilizes a meter to measure soft water consumption, if you actually use less water, then regeneration will occur less frequently.

While your 14 Day Override setting is OK, DO could be set as high as 28 days since the softener will not be removing iron. The DO setting will initiate a forced regeneration if regeneration has not occured within that number of days.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLK

DLK

Reaction score
Excellent information, I'll make your recommended changes. I really appreciate your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks