Help on venting for remodel on upstairs bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

MrDankBars

Reaction score
Hi all,
New to posting but have looked at this site many times for tips with my home renovation. I am putting in a new bathroom upstairs and am hoping to use some of the existing plumbing from and old kitchen.

I've included some pictures to hopefully help tender a better idea of what I'm getting at. I'm not sure how proper my isometrics are.
IMG_20190219_204034.jpg

IMG_20190219_202053.jpg

This is existing plumbing from the previous kitchen sink that was on this wall. I am planning to add a horizontal long sweep 90 to tie into my new bathroom sinks on the perpendicular unsheathed wall to the left just out of picture.

I would like to cut and cap the 2" pipe seen in the photo before it enters the wall (to where it previously drained) turning the uncapped part 90 to run down into the opening in my floor joist below where all my new plumbing will be . Update: after more research I realize that my toilet and lavs need to have shorter distances to the vent. Would a 2" vent that ties into my 2" in-wall drain and the existing vent suffice for the toilet and tub. It would put both of these fixtures within the required trap arm distances I believe. I also realized I could plumb my sink with the P trap closer to the wall and below the existing vent connection so that the weir is not above the vent and the lav would be within the required 3.5 ft to the vent connection.

IMG_20190219_201721.jpg

This is looking up at the space I must use, 15.5" between joists. This is the area directly below the new bathroom and is where I plan to run my 3" pipe that will drain the bathroom fixtures and connect to my septic. This connection is out of picture but is located at the end of this bay.

My main objective is to see if the current plan with some modifications could work for wet venting or if I need to vent individual fixtures and tie them together to the existing vent and not worry about dropping the 2" pipe down to connect with the 3" ( only reason I wanted to do that was if wet venting would work). I'm aware that some of my trap arm distances are off, I have room to move fixtures around.

There's always some funny business going on when I open walls in this house so please excuse if the current plumbing set up is wonky. I'm looking to fix it and make it work with this new bathroom. Thanks a bunch. Happy to send more pics or more detailed drawings.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks