Help! no water in kitchen and laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

Lois Lane

Reaction score
We came home from work and neither the hot or cold water was running to the kitchen and laundry room. Water pipes to kitchen continue to laundry room. Everything was working fine this morning. All other taps working fine tonight except kitchen and laundry room. No evidence of leaks. No deep freeze. Pipes replaced 1989, copper. House built 1958, mostly copper, but some iron pipes remain. Had the main shut off valve turned off three days ago when we had a major leak, which turned out to be toilet wax ring failure, now repaired. Not the aerator (I wish!). No valves shut off while we were at work. The garbage disposal did not turn on this morning, but started again after tuning the motor with the little allen wrench they give you. Garbage disposal worked perfectly last night. Three household problems in three days is more than I can handle!

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
we need more to go on. The kitchen - pull the aerator out and see if you magically have water. The laundry room - the hoses to your appliance also have filter screens. Take the hoses loose and see if you magically have water. If its not an aerator, you're probably going to have to crawl under and hunt the problem down; likely a gate valve turned off that now won't come back open.

Lois Lane

Reaction score
we need more to go on. The kitchen - pull the aerator out and see if you magically have water. The laundry room - the hoses to your appliance also have filter screens. Take the hoses loose and see if you magically have water. If its not an aerator, you're probably going to have to crawl under and hunt the problem down; likely a gate valve turned off that now won't come back open.
Tried the aerator cleaning trick last night, but that did not help. This morning, magically, water. Also found out there is a boil order. Supposedly a pumping station has been down since yesterday afternoon. Will the gate valves turn off automatically if the pressure to the house gets to low or stops? Thanks for the reply. Your avatar looks how I felt last night!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a whole house filter is worthwhile on city water. You want one big enough to not cause much pressure drop.

I would be looking at the Pentek Big White with bypass, although I have never even seen one. I am not a pro. I have the Pentek Big Blue, that does not have a built-in bypass. I think they both use the standard sized cartridges.

I first thought th Pentek VIH filters look worth looking at. They use the 2.5 inch diameter cartridge. However they only have a shutoff and not a bypass.

http://waterpurification.pentair.co...d/en/310925-pentair-bigwbypass-rev-c-de17.pdf
Pentek with bypass: Big White 655107 20 inch, 655106 10 inch.

There are also other whole house filters with built-in bypass, and may be available from your local stores. Those are worth looking into.

Last edited:

Lois Lane

Reaction score
I think a whole house filter is worthwhile on city water. You want one big enough to not cause much pressure drop.

I would be looking at the Pentek Big White with bypass, although I have never even seen one. I am not a pro. I have the Pentek Big Blue, that does not have a built-in bypass. I think they both use the standard sized cartridges.

Also, the Pentek VIH filters look worth looking at. They use the 2.5 inch diameter cartridge,

http://waterpurification.pentair.co...d/en/310925-pentair-bigwbypass-rev-c-de17.pdf
Pentek with bypass: Big White 655107 20 inch, 655106 10 inch.

There are also other whole house filters with built-in bypass, and may be available from your local stores. Those are worth looking into.

Thanks, I have been thinking about that too! I do have to clean one aerator at least once a year which is the only reason I knew to try that last night!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A gate valve will not close on its own. Their more common failure mode is the handle shaft breaking off of the gate, then you can't open them back up once turned off. It's fairly obvious when that happens...in most cases, the handles just keeps turning and has no effect. In a different case, if never operated over long periods of time, the race where the gate slides up and down can get hard deposits on them, and then you can't move the gate at all...that's probably what leads to breaking the shaft when the race for the gate is blocked, and you try to force it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks