Help!! new toilet doesn't cover

Users who are viewing this thread

IPWinsor

Reaction score
Hope all the good experts here are online today.

I finally decided to have a go at replacing my downstairs toilet today.

What I discovered is that the previous owner of the house had laid ceramic tile around the toilet, then filled in the gaps with grout. The toilet was firmly cemented to the floor.

I had to use a Dremel tool to cut the grout around the toilet and a chisel and hammer to chip it away to get the toilet off the floor and flange.

Once the toilet was removed , I was left with a gaping hole in my floor. See attached picture. Its about 3/4 to and inch deep in front of the flange.

Also, the flange is not level. Its level with the floor in the back and on the right side, but about 1/4" below in the front and on the left side.

I test fitted the new Cadet 3. Thankfully, its longer than the toilet it replaces, and sits on tile front and back. I will need to shim it on the back right for stability, but it will work.

Questions:

1) Should I fill to hole in front of the flange to be level with the floor? What with? Quick dry cement?

2) Will the unlevel flange be an issue. I test fitted a 1/4 flange extension, but I think it would be too high in the back and on the right.

3) any other ideas or suggestions welcome!

Ian
Milton, Canada

Attachments

• Floor1.JPG
    Floor1.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 838
  • Drain1.JPG
    Drain1.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 842
  • Cadet1.JPG
    Cadet1.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 905
  • Cadet2.JPG
    Cadet2.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 863
  • Cadet3.JPG
    Cadet3.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 855

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Unless you want to replace the floor,set toilet and use sanded grout to fill in
voids.

IPWinsor

Reaction score
What about the uneven flange? Will the wax gasket fill this gap?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The slant in the flange is not really anything to get too worked up about. A normal wax ring should do fine, but using the extra thick version is worth it.

If you want to fill in the gap on the floor, you may as well try to match the tiles and replace the cut ones surrounding the flange after removing the old ones. But any kind of floor patch compound or mortar should do fine.

Have you looked into putting in a skirted toilet? Perhaps one of the skirted Toto models will have a wider and longer base which will cover up the flooring mess, and the unift flange will solve your uneven flange problem.

IPWinsor

Reaction score
Thanks.

I already bought a Cadet 3, so that's the toilet I am going with.

I filled the hole with concrete patch. Any bit of concrete that you can see after the toilet goes on will get a dab of white paint to hide it.

This doesn't have to be a beautiful install; I will just be happy to have a toilet in the BR that does not backup or have the flapper stick constantly like the one that got replaced did.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're right, why go with a bigger base that hides the gaps in the tile.

It won't matter where it's is anyway.

But if it were my house.............

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you use a flange spacer ring to get the flange up to the right height so it won't leak and make your bathroom smell like poo? Why patch the floor and install a toilet that covers the mess? All that when you can have a toilet that looks and smells like poo!

Sofa King

Reaction score
My Guinevere is a BOB, (big ol' bitch) and would fill that measly hole no prob. You need a Guinevere...Life's too short to be cheap.

Sofa King

PS I haven't cleaned my Guinevere in three months and still looks like new thanks to Sani Gloss & Terry Loves Plumbing board.
I love this toilet so much I'm fixin' ta marry it.

ms974_03.jpg

Toto Guinevere, the large base covers up where the old toilet imprint sat.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPWinsor

Reaction score
The job went well. Its flushes fantastic and did not need shims to make it stable. The wife is pleased, and at the end of the day, that's what's most important! ;)

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I can't believe the number of floors I've seen like that. I guess tilesetters (pro or DIY) are terrified of pulling the toilet and doing it right. That should be required for the journeyman floor installer's license...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks