Help needed with pedestal sink selection

Users who are viewing this thread

ebaskin

Reaction score
If anyone can help, i would really appreciate it. I have purchased and returned 2 sinks so far, both on bad information. I removed a cabinet with a sink in a 1/2 bath that is really small. Pedestal sink would be very nice there, but my sink space is limited. from the center of existing drain to the wall on the right i have 12 in, from the center of existing drain to the wall in the back i have 9 1/2 in. First a well known store i am not going to name sold me a 26 in sink as a 24. then they sold me a 6 3/4 in to the back sink as 9 1/2in. that did not work either. now i am at a loss as to what sink i can buy that would fit. i am looking for your everyday white sink, no colors. it would be nice if there was a "lip" in the back so the water is not leaking between the sink and the wall and space for soap would be nice too. i have to have 4 in center for faucet as we already purchased it. 3 holes not one.

As you can tell, i am not a plumber, so if i missed something please let me know. I am in NJ.

Thank you for your help

Ellen

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
most sinks change over time. I once had a home owner that got the same brand sink same style etc... It would not fit into the whole of the counter. Also the trap had to be moved because the whole did not line up. Your best bet would be to goto a real plumbing supply house. The best choice would be one that has a show room. They can also get you some books that have the measurements for what you need.

The one thing you need to remember is the drain will need to be moved most of the time. If you are trying to get a perfect match you are tying your own hands. Something will not line up so be ready to move something.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
wall-hung or wall mount sink. Search on these terms. In a very small space you do not want a pedestal. Hanging it on the wall will give you more floor space. Some manufacturers are big well known companies, some are small. The sinks are all good, and they all can handle the physical stress of hanging on the wall. Installing one is not an expert operation, but you can certainly hire a handyman to be there with you or do it for you.

david

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Also remember that the majority of pedestal sinks are supported mostly by the wall not the pedestal itself. There are decent size mountings for them and the wall behind them has to be able to handle them, it can't be just drywall anchors, obviously the same is true with wall mounts.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Pedestal sinks are *GReat* for small spaces--I've done renos on 2 small baths that previously had
space wasting vanity/sinks.

It depends on your lifestyle....regarding the wall hung sinks imo.
It's just something else to go south.

Using a wall hung sink won't really save space---thats where your feet go largely (underneath).

I found ways to open up both small baths that really opened up both rooms.

Start with removing any towel bars and replace with towel ring.
Then install a recessed-in wall medicine storage cabinet.

slowes carries a small "Hometek" pedestal that will meet your specifications and it's about 30 dollars.

Both Toto & Kohler websites will provide you with dimensions on all their products BTW.

I found ways to open up both small baths that really opened up both rooms. Here are two:

Start with removing any towel bars and replace with towel ring.
Then install a recessed-in wall medicine storage cabinet.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Mike50 said:
....removing any towel bars and replace with towel ring.
Then install a recessed-in wall medicine storage cabinet....
also raise the sink to a high counter height, which gives you lots of ankle and knee room. Then you have room for a single shelf underneath at thigh height. It feels roomy.

I agree with Mike; a towel bar takes up visual room, and elbow room. Recessing a cabinet is great too.

Pedestals or wall hung sinks both give you extra volume around the lower half of your body, and the whole room feels roomier.

ebaskin

Reaction score
Livin4Real said:
Also remember that the majority of pedestal sinks are supported mostly by the wall not the pedestal itself. There are decent size mountings for them and the wall behind them has to be able to handle them, it can't be just drywall anchors, obviously the same is true with wall mounts.

Thank you livin4real. This was the most helpful piece of information. now i understand that i can't have a pedestal sink as the wall was just tiled and we did not do anything to allow us more than one of those expansion things into dry wall. this will not hold. Onto plan be. Thank you very much.

Molo

Reaction score
ebaskin said:
Thank you livin4real. This was the most helpful piece of information. now i understand that i can't have a pedestal sink as the wall was just tiled and we did not do anything to allow us more than one of those expansion things into dry wall. this will not hold. Onto plan be. Thank you very much.

Can you install support from the other side of the wall? You can drill tile as well

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
pedistle sinks are always trouble

If you have already ad the wall tield you are probably
in trouble when it comes to getting the driain to lien up correctly...

This should have been thought out before the tile...

You can get a wall hung lavatory that is very nice
from about any place...all you got to do is ask for an
ada approved wall hung lav...

they come with the high lip in the back and they can be
anchored into the tile pretty easily

how about this one from gerber??

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I turn them away

by stating a flat fee of $200 that covers up to the 2nd hour, regular rate thereafter.

:D

It's really unrealistic when someone wants to switch from cabinet to pedestal and they think it's simplistic to make the drain and water lines uniform in the wall.

Give me a break! I'm John Stossel with ABC News

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Rugged....

Rugged , I have watched Bob Vella on

"this old house" install one of those pedistle lavs

before and he did not even get dirty doing it!!!!!

IT IS SO SIMPLE ON TV!!!

everything just seemed to fall into place for him and
you could not even see the pipes or any of the plumbing when he was done.......

are you saying that Old Bob in his pretty shorts

can out-plumb you???

mercer_pedestal.jpg

TOTO Mercer Pedestal Lav

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As in most things, the prep is the key...get it installed in the wall exactly where it needs to go, and it fits like a glove.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
your wall has studs in it. (you said you could only put one of those drywall thingies into it.)

ebaskin, you have more options and choices than you think.

locating the studs is easy. hanging a wallmount sink is not hard. positioning the supports is do-able. Getting plumbing to attach to it is do-able.

Hiding the plumbing with a shelf is also do-able. I have a shelf made of parallel bars, and a couple baskets on it. The baskets hide the pipes that go vertical. The bars hide the stuff underneath like the P trap. If anything ever leaks, it is easy to see.

David

ebaskin

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help

We went with a 12 inch deep cabinet with a sink. We found one that matches our kitchen cabinets. it was very easy and a knowledgeable person at a major DIY chain directed us to the pvc connection that is flexible. this gave us the ability to connect the sink to the plumbing. We learned our lesson of checking all before getting the work done. We are very happy with the results and it looks great too. Thank you all for your help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Rugged , I have watched Bob Vella on

"this old house" install one of those pedistle lavs

before and he did not even get dirty doing it!!!!!

IT IS SO SIMPLE ON TV!!!

everything just seemed to fall into place for him and
you could not even see the pipes or any of the plumbing when he was done.......

are you saying that Old Bob in his pretty shorts

can out-plumb you???

mercer_pedestal.jpg

TOTO Mercer Pedestal Lav

I wish I could plumb like Bob Villa!

He gets all the cake jobs!

I get the ones where there is no header in the wall. The existing S-trap drain and supplies come through the slab where the pedestal hits and the customer thinks that its a 15 minute job like they saw Bob do it on TV! Usually backed up by Smockman telling them how easy it is to install when they bought it down at MegaBox!

Nate R

Reaction score
a knowledgeable person at a major DIY chain directed us to the pvc connection that is flexible. this gave us the ability to connect the sink to the plumbing.

This raise a red flag for anyone else? Whenever I hear flexible and drain line, I get worried.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
a knowledgeable person at a major DIY chain directed us to the pvc connection that is flexible. this gave us the ability to connect the sink to the plumbing.

OMG - they ended up going with the advice of the "very knowledgeable" orange apron...LOL
And he had them use the infamous corrugated PVC tailpiece...
Glad to have wasted our time yet again just so someone would end up with a non-compliant, poorly done install...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Bv

If we had a crew that could prepare everything ahead of time, we could also come in when the cameras were turned on and do it it 10 minutes. Do you really believe that his work is done in "real time"? And his work only has to look good until the cameras are turned off. as for the original question, you install the sink and then make the drain fit it. You cannot expect to find any sink that has its drain in the same location as your old sink. Anyone who sold you a flexible drain connection did not do you any favors.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So what's the problem with a little Flex Drain Line... So they get loaded up with crud and glop, then start to smell like a dead animal... Can you imagine what this poor guy would have had to go through to do the job right? He probably would have had to go online and talk to some plumbers that hang out on forums, maybe even post pictures... Here at Big Box we say Git-R-Done...

Signed,
Smockman

P.S. My plumbing has won many awards... You can see some of it right here in a thread Master Plumber Mark started called "Pig Slop Awards"

smockmanapron.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks