Help needed with laundry pump install in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

kennypowers

Reaction score
I have installed a laundry pump coming off the utility sink in the basement of our 40’s era house. Before installing this, the sink emptied into
the stormwater sump. We finally decided the nasty smell was too much, thus the change.

Anyway, there is only one vent pipe in the house, it was installed when the second floor was finished years ago and a bathroom upstairs was added.

The only option I had was to feed the laundry pump discharge into this line. This leaves me with nowhere for a vent. we have been doing laundry with this for two weeks now, with the vent hole in the basin open, and everything works fine, but I’d like to vent it properly. Anyone have any ideas?

B2B8E43C-E884-44FC-81BA-CDADA91E15B3.jpeg

DAD451B5-DA7A-4649-8C83-C1C22BD97992.jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
View attachment 57155 View attachment 57154...... I have installed a laundry pump coming off the utility sink in the basement......

A sump pump used for discharge into a septic system must be fully sealed and vented. Is there a garage that shares a wall from this basement? If yes you run a vent pipe to the garage then go up to the roof.

Another issue you have is the Fernco couplers. They are the wrong type. They must be with the stainless steel band around it. As you can see at the 4" from PVC to CI, it is bulging.
https://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings

ejector.jpg

kennypowers

Reaction score
Yes, the laundry basin is a zoeller 105 kit with sealed basin. Only the laundry water goes into it. Prior to installing the laundry water went into the storm sump, which after a few days smells bad and eventually clogged the sump pump with lint.

No garage attached to house, but the existing vent pipe is routed through an upstairs closet into the attic. I could branch a vent off this, but it would have to tee off right next to the main pipe in the closet, go through the floor, and back to the laundry basin. Would that work?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A vent needs slope downwards in case it gets any condensation, or rain or whatever that may get in the pipe so that it can drain and not block any air movement. As long as the pipe is the proper size and has the required slope when horizontal, it can be pretty much as long as you need.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What is that 2" CI pipe coming out of the wall. It looks like an old washing machine drain connection. Do you know if its been disconnected beyond the wall?

Though all vents must go above the roof facia, since this laundry pump is essentially gray water, (no septic use), running a pipe out the side wall of the home, not under a window and at least 3 feet from a window, you'll probably be good just being a few feet above the ground and top it off with a 2-90 degree bends. What you are really doing is allowing air to escape the sump and re enter as the water is pumped in and out. The septic part is on the other side of the check valve and it is vented from your plumbing system.

Just curious? Do you have a top load washer, an old fashion one with an big agitator and wash baby clothes? The two seems to generate a lot of lint.

Last edited:

kennypowers

Reaction score
What is that 2" CI pipe coming out of the wall. It looks like an old washing machine drain connection. Do you know if its been disconnected beyond the wall?

Though all vents must go above the roof facia, since this laundry pump is essentially gray water, (no septic use), running a pipe out the side wall of the home, not under a window and at least 3 feet from a window, you'll probably be good just being a few feet above the ground and top it off with a 2-90 degree bends. What you are really doing is allowing air to escape the sump and re enter as the water is pumped in and out. The septic part is on the other side of the check valve and it is vented from your plumbing system.

Just curious? Do you have a top load washer, an old fashion one with an big agitator and wash baby clothes? The two seems to generate a lot of lint.

Hmm I like the idea of a side vent. I might just do this instead of having to go all the way back upstairs to tee off a vent line. I believe that old disconnected line is from the old kitchen sink, it’s been filled with concrete like material. Yes! Our problems with the lint/smell didnt become overwhelming until we had a baby! Top load washer too! The lint actually killed the previous cheapo storm sump, fortunately the laundry water not draining made us realize this before the next big storm!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks