Help needed for bath tub drain repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

DCook

Reaction score
I am trying determine whether I need to replace my bath tub shoe or if I can fix the one that is already there.

I have removed the flange, which appears to be too small, since it doesn't screw into the tub shoe (rather it just falls into it). There was no gasket at all, and it wasn't secured by any plumber's putty at all.

I bought a new gasket, but I'm not sure if I need one or two gaskets. From the research I've done, I think I need a gasket on the bottom (on top of the tub shoe and under the actual tub) as well as a gasket above the actual tub and underneath the flange.

Additionally, the bath tub shoe hangs about a half inch below the actual tub. I am trying to figure out whether I can use plumber's putty to secure the tub shoe to the tub, or if I need to install a whole new tub shoe & tub arm.

If anyone can give me some advise on these two question, it will help me a lot. Thank you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Plumber's putty does NOT "secure" ANYTHING. The shoe should press against the rubber gasket under the tub, and NO gasket goes above the tub, (that is where the plumber's putty goes).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj mentions, only the rubber gasket goes between the tub and shoe.

If you have a large gap, then you need to cut and refit.
You can use plumbers putty for the flange that is installed last from the tub side.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
However, you do NOT need tape on that thread because it is NOT a "water tight" connection.

No tape.
I tried to explain the "no tape" thing to a plumber that was working for me. I sat him down and explained that the seal was the rubber washer, not the threads.
He went and taped it anyway, then called my and said I needed to fix the "leak"
Damn! I went out there, cleaned and removed all the tape, cut away Silicone, and reinstalled with clean parts, no tape.
Friggin! It's not that hard people.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks