Help needed figuring out cold water pressure issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Tony G.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Newbie here. I have a shower with a single handle that delivers only hot water. I decided to open her up and see what I was dealing with. There is hot water pipe and a cold water pipe both fitted with stop valves. My first attempt to figure out why there was no cold water pressure and to test if the stop valve on the cold pipe was closed. It wasn't. The next thing was to inspect the ceramic disc cartridge. It looked brand new but still opted to replace it to see if that would fix it. Nope. The next step was to sign up for a terrylove account. Can anyone recommend a few more steps I can attempt before needing to call in a professional? Thanks in advance.

It should be noted I live in central Florida, so no freezing of the pipes has occurred. Also, some cold water does come out, but not enough to offset the hot water or even cause a drop in temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony G.

Reaction score
Update: So my newbishness got the better of me. After replacing the ceramic disc cartridge and not getting a lot of cold water to come out, I figured it wasn't the cartridge. However, I tried something different -- I rotated the faucet on and off over and over again, kinda like a water pump. The more and more I pumped it, the more cold water came out. I then released the hot water stop valve and I believe that created a huge vacuum/suction to pull more cold water out. Not sure, but now I have cold and hot water. Problem solved -- calling it a day.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Update: So my newbishness got the better of me. After replacing the ceramic disc cartridge and not getting a lot of cold water to come out, I figured it wasn't the cartridge. However, I tried something different -- I rotated the faucet on and off over and over again, kinda like a water pump. The more and more I pumped it, the more cold water came out. I then released the hot water stop valve and I believe that created a huge vacuum/suction to pull more cold water out. Not sure, but now I have cold and hot water. Problem solved -- calling it a day.
Awesome! glad you got it fixed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks