Help needed ASAP in bath remodel, DWV installation/replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

amilkovits

Reaction score
Hi all – thanks in advance for a site that has already been incredibly helpful.

I am in the middle of gutting and remodeling our bathroom and would like to replace the cast iron waste pipes with PVC.
About the house: Duplex, over/under. Each unit is a one bedroom with a single full bath in each unit. City sewer. Previous owner replaced the cast iron from the basement floor up to somewhere in the middle of the first floor with 4”PVC. Above that is 4” cast up through the roof. Have not had any problems with the waste service since we bought the house 5 years ago. We plan to own the house for a long time, and I don’t ever want to rip up the bathroom floor, so I figured I might as well replace the aging cast with PVC…plus it lets me get it up to code. I’m a diy’er with limited experience, and so I apologize for not having the technical terms for certain things.

I’m struggling with the layout of the new system. In the attached photo you will see the closet 90 for the toilet with two 1.5” inlets. The inlet on the left (brass) is for the bathroom sink, inlet on the right (black ABS) is for the bathtub. From the center of the hole for the toilet back to the edge of the vertical 4” cast is 14.5”. Directly above the tee that this flows into is another tee where the kitchen sink empties into it. The kitchen sink is located 5’ up the same wall the bathtub is on. The sink used to be located just on the other side of the cast and was relocated at some point. They ran the drain pipe through the back of the cabinets --- I’d like to use this opportunity to clean it up.
BathComp.jpg

Questions – do I need to keep the vent stack at 4”, or should I go to 3” above the last downstairs fixture? This would give me a little more room.

Does this new proposal work:

Replace the stack with 4” PVC. Add a 4x4x3 tee. Add 3x3x3 wye to the tee --- one end of the wye goes to a closet 90 for the toilet, the other end reduces to 2” and goes to another wye where the tub and a new drain line for the kitchen sink tie into it. To vent this system, could I put an AAV just after the kitchen trap? Would that be sufficient for the toilet? I would then drain the bath sink into a 4x4x2 wye that I would put on the vertical stack. Would it be better to try and add a vent line that connects to the horizontal 2” bathtub/kitchen sink drain and work it up to a spot on the 4” stack?
BathCompScenario.jpg
Alternatively, I just found at my local plumbing store a 4x4x4x2 right inlet tee (charlotte #417). So if I installed this vertically in the waste stack I could run the 4” outlet to a 3” reducer and then to the closet 90 for the toilet. The 2” right inlet could then take care of the bathtub and kitchen sink drain. I’d still need to vent that, should that be a vent that starts upstream in a horizontal section and goes back into the stack or just use an aav right after the kitchen trap? I would do the bath sink as I was thinking before, a 4x4x2 wye that would sit right on top of the above mentioned tee in the vertical stack.
BathCompScenario2.jpg

amilkovits

Reaction score
Alright, after further studying I found the following errors in my proposed plumbing:

Toilet not vented properly in scenario 1. Not vented at all in scenario 2. Bathroom sink not vented in either scenario.

The new drawing shows a vent in red. I would connect it and go up in the wall next to the tub feed lines, then horizontal and into the stack at about 50" high. I could do the same for the sink drain. Should I add the vent to the 2" bathtub and kitchen sink horizontal (sloped) drain with a tee or a wye? Vent should be 2", correct? BathCompScenario3.jpg

amilkovits

Reaction score
Somebody else suggested that I could just stack vent everything since it's all within the 5 foot maximum for 2" pipe. Immediately coming out of the floor I could use a 4x4x4x2 right inlet for the toilet and bathtub, then a 4x4x2x2 sitting right on top of that in the stack for the bathroom sink and kitchen sink. The kitchen sink is a little over 5'...close to 6 or 7, but I could add an aav after the trap too for good measure. Thoughts on this setup?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Except in certain very specific situations (often, within a single bathroom group), once a pipe becomes a vent, it must ALWAYS remain a vent. So, assuming the pipe from below is the vent for those fixtures, it cannot become a drain for things above it.

amilkovits

Reaction score
Except in certain very specific situations (often, within a single bathroom group), once a pipe becomes a vent, it must ALWAYS remain a vent. So, assuming the pipe from below is the vent for those fixtures, it cannot become a drain for things above it.

The 4" stack is essentially the vent from below. The full bath below and kitchen sink all just empty into it. It goes right from the roof the to city line leaving the building. So, to really resolve the issue I need to properly vent those fixtures on the first floor, either with an AAV on each fixture or by running vents up to the attic and tying them back in high. Also, if I do the option with a 4x4x4x2 side inlet tee with another tee stacked on top of it, wouldn't the tee on top of it technically be upstream and therefore violate the rule you just mentioned, or is this one of the very rare exceptions since it is within a single group? It seems like my third scenario with the red vent lines tied back into a tee up high is the best option for this unit, and that I should address the downstairs unit vents as well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; replace the aging cast with PVC…plus it lets me get it up to code. I’m a diy’er with limited experience,

What was the problem with the cast iron, and what is NOT "up to code". The "diy'er with limited experience" is a recipe for disaster. Your drawings, being two dimension are mixing horizontal and vertical pipes on the same plane making them VERY confusing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks