Help!!! Need some input on a septic field issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Nanas

Reaction score
Hi everyone - i need some help with a problem i have with my septic field.

I live in a home with a septic field. I have my house listed for sale and a recent home inspection said my septic field is failing. I am not so sure it is failing - how can I tell if they are right ??

I do not have nor have ever had problems with odor, a wet or slushy yard where the field is, no back ups or slow flushings with the toilets...... I do not have a washing machine nor garbage disposal and live alone in the home. 2 out of the last 4 years the home was pretty much vacant, except for a 6 month time frame in which there was 1 person occupying the home.

In 2014 I was having some home improvements done and was going to have the roof done and a new tank put it, but the Septic company told me I did not need a new tank because mine was working fine. I had the tank pumped at that time and that was the last time I had it pumped because:
1. ) I was the only one living in the house
2.) The home was vacant for the majority of 2 out of the past 4 years so it had VERY little usage

At that date, the County came out and I was talking with their inspector who was overseeing the roofing and septic jobs. We were talking about my tank and field. He asked how long I had lived there........ and told me he thinks my field should last another 10 years or more if I keep the usage as low as I have been for the past 4 years. I kept it even LOWER than what it was.

I just don't understand how 4 years later and with the LESS usage the field has dealt with - that my field coul be failing !!! The recent inspector said my field was saturated and not draining properly. He said he dug a spot in the yard and could see sludge , ground water and " untreated sewage" under the ground but on top of the field. I just don't understand how there could have been " sewage" if no one had been living in the home for 6 months. Also, it had rained pretty heavy the day before the inspection - wouldn't that affect the water level and saturation ?

I would appreciate any input anyone can give me. I don't really know what to do and due to a severe medical issue, I have not been able to work in over a year. I have no income right now and no means to fork out money for all kinds of testing or inspections .......... let alone a new septic field !!!!!!!!!

Ufengineer

Reaction score
If there was a formal inspection performed on the house that inspection will be part of any future sale. It is attached to the house so to speak. The only way to overcome that is to have an inspection perform yourself. Look for someone who specializes in septic systems. If the septic drain field needs to be replaced, you could deduct the replacement cost or a percentage of the replacement cost from the house sale.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Yes, the rain before could make things look very different. If this was a "Home Inspector" like realtors use, they probably just don't know what they are looking at. Around here they are all idiots and they try to point out every little thing to get the buyer a discount. We have soil evaluators here that are private licensed people that design septic systems. You probably have something like that there, and they or a licensed septic contractor should be the only ones making any inspections.

Midriller

Reaction score
I'm not sure where in Mi you are but in Kalamazoo County we are having tons of issues with rising water tables that are saturating septic drain fields that were previously fine. The last two or three years we have seen a ton of moisture that is causing issues in places not previously to be considered to be wet. Was it was the county or DEQ that deemed it failing or a private inspector. Also in a real estate transaction in Mi, just cause it fails doesn't mean you have to pay for it.

If your in my area i could make some great recommendations for a septic guy.
Daniel Siebenaler
A+ Well Services
Galesburg, MI 49053
(269)350-4331

Nanas

Reaction score
I'm not sure where in Mi you are but in Kalamazoo County we are having tons of issues with rising water tables that are saturating septic drain fields that were previously fine. The last two or three years we have seen a ton of moisture that is causing issues in places not previously to be considered to be wet. Was it was the county or DEQ that deemed it failing or a private inspector. Also in a real estate transaction in Mi, just cause it fails doesn't mean you have to pay for it.

If your in my area i could make some great recommendations for a septic guy.
Daniel Siebenaler
A+ Well Services
Galesburg, MI 49053
(269)350-4331
Thank you for the input and response. I am near Pontiac so not anywhere near you. It was a private inspector for the buyers of the home who said it is not draining properly and that it needs a new field. Also found out from my neighbor that he had serious septic field issues ever since our neighbor behind us filled in wetlands and a trench that ran along our fence lines. He thinks that is what caused our trouble. He put in risers underneath his tank and hasn't had any problems since then.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks