Help! Need odd size brass nipples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdtompki

Reaction score
I've got to cut down three brass nipples to odd lengths to finish off my shower (3-1/4" and two @ 2-5/8"). These are 1/2" pipe. Is there an inexpensive threading die tool that I can buy for this application?

I called a plumber, but their threading tool won't handle short stock (no surprise). How does a plumber handle this sort of problem? You can't set the elbow to the correct depth in the wall because you have no idea how thick the mortar and tile are going to be. The trim (two body jets and one handshower outlet) need nipples of almost the exact length in order to seal against the shower wall.

Rick

TNPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
A suggestion

They sell brass nipples at supply houses that are already threaded in various sizes, they should have them in stock.

TedL

Reaction score
Does it have to be brass nipples? Can you build to length needed using two male adapters and a short length of copper?

Rdtompki

Reaction score
I'm going to look at how large the hole would have to be in order to use the male adapters. I'm loath to make the holes much larger. Right now I've got a tight fit around the brass nipples. I may not have a choice, however.

Rick

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thread

You need a "nipple chuck" and a theading machine, not a hand die, to thread them. I could make the chuck, but the machine has to be a shop floor model, such as Home Depot has in their plumbing department.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks