Help my pipes started shaking

Users who are viewing this thread

suz_ibees

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a new homeowner, we closed on the house Friday. This morning, Sunday, woke up to shaking and vibrating pipes when my husband flushed the toilet! Does anyone know if this is a major problem? And does anyone know the cause and solution?? Oh i forgot the house was built in 2001 and we've lived in it for a year without incident.
Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most likely a problem with the fill valve in the toilet. Pretty easy to repair or replace that. Tell us what it looks like and we can offer more help if necessary.

suz_ibees

Reaction score
All the toilets are doing it

Thanks for the reply but all my toilets are doing the same thing. It all started this morning. When we turned on the upstairs faucets it also happens. The downstairs faucets don't do it. Do you think its okay to use the water on the house?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since more than one device causes the problem, now we look for something common. The first thing that then comes to mind is the pressure regulator valve. Get a pressure gauge from a hardware or plumbing store and check the pressure at a hose bibb or the washing machine valve. It should be approx. in the 40 to 70 PSI range. If higher, then this is the problem. If this is ok, then we would look for a loose gate or washer in a main shut off valve, or even a valve which has been inadvertently closed part way.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this a brand spanking new home or just new to you? Did you have a home inspection done B4 you bought the home? If yes this should have been caught by the inspector, if it is happening throughout the house, and the cost of repair would fall on him/her unless it was in their report and you missed it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks