Help Me Understand .........

Users who are viewing this thread

TVL

Reaction score
Help me understand something please:

Last May I replaced my 18 year old 1 HP pump with a new 1 HP F&W pump. The old pump, which had severely worn impellers, had been masking some well issues I was having and the new pump quickly exposed the fact that our well was not producing as it once had. So, in June with the help of the experts on this board, I was able to determine my 35 year old well was having problems producing enough water (only had about 5 GPM). So, long story short, I had a new 4 inch sand well dug and when the new F&W pump was installed, it too could pump more than the new well could produce. So, I purchased a 10 GPM dole valve and have been irrigating ever since without any problems whatsoever.

This past week, I decided to remove the 10 GPM dole valve from the system and see what would happen. The well now has no problem whatsoever producing enough water for the F&W pump. As an experiment, I cut on two irrigation zones simultaneously and the pump tried its best to produce enough water for 2 zones at once. Naturally, the pump was not sized big enough to maintain that many sprinkler heads and while ALL heads were passing water, the pressure suffered dramatically. But, my test did prove the well would now produce enough water without a dole valve. As a matter of fact, the pump hangs about 27 feet below the static water level and the water level dropped ONLY 2 feet during all of the testing.

Now for my question:

Last year when I installed the 10 GPM dole valve, I recorded the pressure at the tank of each sprinkler zone as they ran. Naturally, each zone is different, but for the most part the zones runs at about 48 PSI. After I removed the Dole valve from the system, I ran all zones again to see what would happen. The well could now produce enough water without the dole valve restriction, but the pressure for each zone increased about 5 to 6 PSI. Why would the pressure increase? If anything, I would have thought the pressures would decrease without the dole valve because the pump is now able to pump all it can with only the sprinkler heads being its restricting factor????

TVL

Reaction score
Taking out the Dole valve or any other restriction in the line will deliver more pressure to the sprinklers.

1- I had always thought that as a pump neared its pumping capacity, the pressure would then begin to decrease and the volume produced would increase. Restricting a pumps designed capacity as with a dole valve or any other type nozzle would produce less volume, but water pressure would be increased. And, if the restriction was large enough the pump could out pump the system demand and the pressure switches cut off point would be satisfied. If this is correct, how could removing the dole valve add pressure?? Am I not now allowing the pump to produce more water by removing the dole valve's 10 GPM restriction? What am I missing?

2- And out of curiosity, is the introduction of a dole valve to a well system bad on the pump. In other words, barring a well issue where a dole valve is required, how does the dole valve affect the pumps life expectancy?

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
The dole valve by itself does nothing to the downstream water pressure...it only lets 10 gpm go by. Downstream pressure in that case would be a function of the incoming pressure of the 10gpm, head loss in the system, and the number of heads running (flow). ie...if you had a 2 or 3 gpm demand behind a 10 gpm dole valve, you will see more line pressure than when having a 9 or 10 or 11 gpm demand behind a 10 gpm dole valve......... When you had the dole valve in place, and the heads open, 10 GPM was not quite enough to keep the pressure up......

TVL

Reaction score
OK ........... VAWellDriller that's beginning to make sense. Thanks!

Although our new well seems to have plenty of water at the moment, I do like the idea of having a dole valve in the system. I just ordered a 11.5 GPM dole valve to replace the 10 GPM now in the system. One reason I did this was because each sprinkler zone is designed for about 11 GPM. The new dole valve I've ordered will not "starve" a zone as has been the case with the 10 GPM unit. In other words, each sprinkler zone should now perform at optimum level.

My concern: Does a dole valve have any type adverse affect on pump life expectancy?

Reach4

Reaction score
Dole valve is before the pressure switch.

Edit: Regarding "Restricting a pumps designed capacity as with a dole valve or any other type nozzle would produce less volume, but water pressure would be increased."

While the back pressure ("head") at the pump would be increased at the pump would be increased, the pressure to the pressure tank, pressure switch, and the rest of the system would not be increased.

Sometimes a Dole valve is used to prevent upthrust if there is not sufficient head to put the pump into the good part of the pump curve. In that case, the Dole valve could increase the life of the pump. Other than that, I have no prediction on the potential pump life change. The Dole valve could let you adapt to possibly changing conditions to increase the head that the pump sees.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A Cycle Stop Valve is like an adjustable Dole valve. It will restrict the pump to match the amount being used. So if your sprinklers put out 11 GPM, the CSV would turn into an 11 GPM valve. If you are no longer using a Dole valve to keep from pumping the well dry, a CSV would adjust according to the usage and keep the pump from cycling on and off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks