Well questions. Help me understand what is happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Monimom

Reaction score
Good evening...
I am hoping for a bit of assistance in understanding what is going on with our well....
heres the backstory;

our well is 23 yrs old 140 ft down 4 gpm.(when it was drilled) , we have high manganese and iron , and have a standard drop in style sump large whole house filter 5 micron to catch crud its installed after tank before the rest of plumbing, we have a high water table and have NEVER had any issue with pressure other than when filters were overdue.

We have recently had a full 8 ft deep foundation dug to add on to our small house (finally) ... it is 23 ft from the well head...
the existing water line (black pipe underground) was in the way of new foundation so our builder spliced it and extended the section out of the way (he did it totally right I checked ..lol)

First thing we noticed about a week after was our filter was real cruddy (it has a clear housing)... and our kitchen water was smelling like swamp, so I changed the under sink cotton spun filter and it had black pots randomly on it and my husband changed the whole house 5 micron and noticed sand in it ... we usually have reddish sediment and the white of the filter gets pretty nasty after about 2- 3 months

the whole house filter was getting pretty reddish after a couple hours and by the next day was real gross...

Now... our water pressure is terrible if you use it... when you let it sit it seems ok, but flush a toilet, and turn the shower on and its bad.....

Can someone sort this out ?? I have been talking with local well people but its just ideas.... could be we "disturbed " the well. stirred t up ... could be the tank...
any experts here please chime in ... this is making me sad... for 23 yrs I have dreamed of adding on.... what could this be ???? will it straighten out ?? as I type my husband is changing the cruudy filter from last week, and i'm hoping it will improve the pressure....
Thank you if you survived this ,, and if you reply

Monimom

Reaction score
So far so good... after changing the filter the pressure is holding good... the filter itself is dirty but no where near as bad as before...

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut the pipe & spliced it? I hope he chlorinated the system to kill any bacteria he may have transmitted into the system.

Monimom

Reaction score
Bumping this "old"post to ask another question …. its been 2 yrs now, and we have seen improvement in the pressure but the sediment / rust color on the filter is just as bad if not worse. I use a 5 micron 4" cartridge and within 1 week its covered in rust sludge … I have had ALOT going on in life and have been too complacent its time to address this issue... I fear if there could be health implications as I have had our water tested and our manganese is very high. We have been drinking bottled water for a while now, but theres got to be a reason/solution to this issue.... so... who do I contact ?? a well company ? plumber ?? any advice/ ideas as to what could be wrong as I am too worn out to address this myself. Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
Bumping this "old"post to ask another question …. its been 2 yrs now, and we have seen improvement in the pressure but the sediment / rust color on the filter is just as bad if not worse. I use a 5 micron 4" cartridge and within 1 week its covered in rust sludge … I have had ALOT going on in life and have been too complacent its time to address this issue... I fear if there could be health implications as I have had our water tested and our manganese is very high. We have been drinking bottled water for a while now, but theres got to be a reason/solution to this issue.... so... who do I contact ?? a well company ? plumber ?? any advice/ ideas as to what could be wrong as I am too worn out to address this myself. Thank you
I would be looking at a backwashing filter with media chosen treat iron, manganese, and even plain sediment. There are various sizes, but 54x10 inches with a valve on top is a typical size. Looks like a softener. You might also consider a softener.

How many gpm can your pump produce, and how long can your well produce that before running dry? I would post that, as well as your iron, Mn, and other test results into the water softener forum, which serves as a water treatment forum. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/water-softener-forum-questions-and-answers.22/ If you don't have iron and manganese and pH and arsenic numeric results, you need a better lab water test.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my writeup on sanitizing deep wells with submersible pumps and sanitizing your plumbing at the same time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even if you call in a professional well person or water treatment people you still need to educate yourself on what is going on. Leaving it all up to a "professional" is the best way to get taken for a ride.

Monimom

Reaction score
Even if you call in a professional well person or water treatment people you still need to educate yourself on what is going on. Leaving it all up to a "professional" is the best way to get taken for a ride.

Agree 10000% Im trying

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks