Irrigation well, Help me understand what I need, please

Users who are viewing this thread

wetwater

Reaction score
I've got a well that's used only for irrigation. It has a huge tank (120 gal i think) that is now leaking all over the floor when the sprinklers run. I'd like to do away with the large tank and get one of the smaller ones if possible.

I assume I would need a cycle stop valve and a smaller tank, but I''m wondering:
- How do I know if my existing pump is compatible with this arrangement?
- I believe there is some kind of drain valve about 10ft down the well pipe. Does this have to be removed if I convert?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

wetwater-01.jpg

wetwater-02.jpg

wetwater-03.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Tried looking up tank manufacturer think their out of business. Is the water leaking out the bottom of tank? Tank would be bad. Tank looks like a compression tank with a short ladder look at the top of the tank inside that nipple in the center of top does it look like a tire valve stem? If it does it's a compression tank. The wiring looks very problematic. No cover on pressure control, motor and don't see a pressure relief valve. If your going to use this system as intended a plumber or a irrigation company could help you out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry, running machines all day. You need to figure out if the air over water style tank is needed or not. If you have iron or sulfur in the water that type of tank is common. If there is no iron or sulfur, you can switch to a bladder style tank and a CSV if you like, but you may need to plug the bleeder orifice if you have one.

wetwater

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to swap the 120 tank for like an 80 gal of the same type?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
80 gallon is probably large enough. The trick with those type tanks is keeping enough air in the tank. Make sure your air maker stuff is working properly and check the air charge regularly. Forget to check and just one day of working on a waterlogged tank puts as many cycles on the pump as in a year or two of normal use.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
Hey man. I responded over on reddit too. You have a relay in the mix with a pressure switch which is somewhat unorthodox although I have seen systems set up that way. From your refit post you said you think the irrigation comes off in the yard somewhere. If that is the case you would need to put your cycles top valve in the well and put a new tank with a pressure switch in the basement and take the relay out if you want a pressurized system.

If you don’t what a pressurized system you could install the csv, remove leaky tank and pressure switch, install pressure relief valve, and leave relay in place

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, but keep in mind the other comments. Air spitting out of sprinklers would probably be less of a problem than air spitting out of faucets in a house.

For irrigation, you don't necessary need a pressure tank. You would need to have a system where the path to the irrigation is always on. Additionally, there needs to be a pressure relief valve in case something goes wrong.

You can still use a CSV to make the pump adjust to different loads, or you can match the loads to what the pump can deliver.

If no tank, you don't get the convenience of opening a faucet or valve to start the pump. Your irrigation controller would control the pump.

wetwater

Reaction score
Yes, but keep in mind the other comments. Air spitting out of sprinklers would probably be less of a problem than air spitting out of faucets in a house.

For irrigation, you don't necessary need a pressure tank. You would need to have a system where the path to the irrigation is always on. Additionally, there needs to be a pressure relief valve in case something goes wrong.

You can still use a CSV to make the pump adjust to different loads, or you can match the loads to what the pump can deliver.

If no tank, you don't get the convenience of opening a faucet or valve to start the pump. Your irrigation controller would control the pump.

The CSV route would definitely be ideal. But, I've been researching CSVs, and it looks like I would need to know the pump size, depth, etc. I don't know any of this information. It was all in place before we moved in.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I could help you figure out the pump size. But the size of the pump is not a problem like the bleeder orifice down the well is. You either need to stay with the air over water type tank or plug the bleeder before switching to a diaphragm tank and/or a CSV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks