Help me to choose pressure booster pump for a 74 feet apartment building ?

Users who are viewing this thread

DNAG

Reaction score
I am designing an apartment building located in Washington. Following are the design data:

Total WSFU: 1062
Total Supply Demand: 215gpm
Daily Service Pressure (Min): 60psi
Water Meter (Pressure Loss): 10psi
Min. Residual Pressure (at furthest point): 8psi
Static Pressure: 31.82psi
Available Pressure/Frictional Losses: 10.18psi
Avg Permissible Frictional loss per 100ft: 5.01psi
Dia of Building Supply: 3inch
Pipe Material: CPVC
UG Tank Dimension: 2170cubic feet
Air Height: 2.32feet

I am not sure how to choose hydro-pneumatic pumping system based on these data. Please help me!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You will need something like this.

1) Berkeley 10HP B2ZPLS pump
1) CSV3B3F Cycle Stop Valve
1) WX302 86 gallon pressure tank
1) GHG2 50/70 pressure switch
1) Across the line pump panel 240 or 480 volt
Could even be single phase if needed
1) 3" check valve
1) 3" misc manifold fittings

You may also want to double this to have a redundant pump system. And you can also add a small jockey pump like a 2-3HP that would keep up with leaks and small water demands without wear on the large pumps.

You can call me if you have more questions. Cary at 806-885-4445
And here are drawings of a one pump and three pump system.
1 Booster for 18 homes.jpg

2 End Suctions 1 Verticle.jpg

DNAG

Reaction score
You will need something like this.

1) Berkeley 10HP B2ZPLS pump
1) CSV3B3F Cycle Stop Valve
1) WX302 86 gallon pressure tank
1) GHG2 50/70 pressure switch
1) Across the line pump panel 240 or 480 volt
Could even be single phase if needed
1) 3" check valve
1) 3" misc manifold fittings

You may also want to double this to have a redundant pump system. And you can also add a small jockey pump like a 2-3HP that would keep up with leaks and small water demands without wear on the large pumps.

You can call me if you have more questions. Cary at 806-885-4445
And here are drawings of a one pump and three pump system.
View attachment 41343
View attachment 41344

Hi Valveman,

Thank you for the reply and it is extremely helpful! If you could help me understanding the calculation behind the selection then it would be a great help.

Can you please share your skype id or WhatsApp so that I can call you in case of direct communication. Skype or WhatsApp is more convenient for me.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I figured a pump that would produce 215 GPM at 60 PSI. And everything else was selected to match the pump size. I set up Skype one time and never used it. Changed computers since then and no longer have it. I could set it up again if needed. But email me with questions to start, and if we need to talk I will see if I can figure out Skype again.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
For any system with pumps I highly recommend a plumbing engineer do the design and choose a local company to supply the pumping setup if at all possible. Makes for easier servicing later.
Dual pumps, variable speed, are always the way to go for energy savings and eventual pump failure replacement while keeping the building pressure on line.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
For any system with pumps I highly recommend a plumbing engineer do the design and choose a local company to supply the pumping setup if at all possible. Makes for easier servicing later.
Dual pumps, variable speed, are always the way to go for energy savings and eventual pump failure replacement while keeping the building pressure on line.

I disagree. You are much better off getting a qualified pump man to design the system, as he will have some experience with pumps. An engineer only knows what is in the books and thinks he knows everything, which is why he gets it wrong most of the time.

Also, nobody that understands pumps would ever say that a Variable speed drive saves energy. They do not save energy. Anytime you vary the speed of the pump you are using more energy per gallon, not less. VFD's or variable speed drives are also the main cause of pump failures. Harmonics, voltage spikes, bearing currents, reduced fan speeds, and many other problems are caused by VFD's, which greatly shorten the life of pumps.

Most of the Cycle Stop Valve pump systems we built 20-25 years ago are still working, and many have not been touched. It is nice to be able to work with someone local, but when the pump station is built with CSV's, there won't be much maintenance needed. A local person is very important with a VFD system as they are constantly in need of repair and/or replacement, that is why the manufacturers like VFD's and not CSV's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks