Help Me Pick A Pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by winesalot, Nov 29, 2018.

1. winesalot

winesalot New Member

We have a low volume well with a well pump already installed that moves water from the well to a cistern. The bottom of the cistern is 6' below ground. I need to pick a pump that will supply a single story 5000 sqft 4 bedroom home about 50' away from the cistern. I would like to put a standard submersible well pump laying on it's side in the cistern to supply the house along with a small pressure tank and CSV in the house mechanical room. The pump we have in the well is a Grundfos so I would like to stick with that brand but this is not necessary. Our engineer calculated a total of 93 ft tdh. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

1/2 HP 10 gpm pump. Place the pump into a 4 inch pvc flow inducer.

This table is not for a Grundfos, but the Grundfos would have a similar table.
    [​IMG]

You could set the pressure switch to 40/60 or 50/70 or some such.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Although a 1/2HP, 10 GPM pump is all the pump you probably need, there is a 1HP, 33 GPM Hallmark pump on the Internet for 150 bucks that makes a good cistern pump. At 33 GPM it is much larger than you need, but a CSV will make it work like a small pump as needed. Then you would still have up to 25 GPM or so available if needed. You could put 3 of these in for what a 1/2HP, 10 GPM pump will cost. Control it with a PK1A Cycle Stop Valve kit and that large pump will work down to 1 GPM as needed without any problem.

5. winesalot

winesalot New Member

Great answers, thanks. What is the required or recommended flow rate to a residence?

6. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

I don’t know how true this is but I read that laying a submersible on its side wears the bearings out prematurely.

7. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    5 GPM will usually supply a house. I like 10 GPM to cover peak demands like when you have company.

Laying a sub on its side is fine. Been doing it for decades with pumps up to 75HP. A flow inducer/cooling shroud and starting the pump against pressure is important though. That means only one check valve and that one installed right on the pump.
    shroud 3 pics.jpg

Horizontal Bracket for Sub.jpg