Help Me Pick A Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

winesalot

Reaction score
We have a low volume well with a well pump already installed that moves water from the well to a cistern. The bottom of the cistern is 6' below ground. I need to pick a pump that will supply a single story 5000 sqft 4 bedroom home about 50' away from the cistern. I would like to put a standard submersible well pump laying on it's side in the cistern to supply the house along with a small pressure tank and CSV in the house mechanical room. The pump we have in the well is a Grundfos so I would like to stick with that brand but this is not necessary. Our engineer calculated a total of 93 ft tdh. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
1/2 HP 10 gpm pump. Place the pump into a 4 inch pvc flow inducer.

This table is not for a Grundfos, but the Grundfos would have a similar table.
index.php

You could set the pressure switch to 40/60 or 50/70 or some such.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Although a 1/2HP, 10 GPM pump is all the pump you probably need, there is a 1HP, 33 GPM Hallmark pump on the Internet for 150 bucks that makes a good cistern pump. At 33 GPM it is much larger than you need, but a CSV will make it work like a small pump as needed. Then you would still have up to 25 GPM or so available if needed. You could put 3 of these in for what a 1/2HP, 10 GPM pump will cost. Control it with a PK1A Cycle Stop Valve kit and that large pump will work down to 1 GPM as needed without any problem.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I don’t know how true this is but I read that laying a submersible on its side wears the bearings out prematurely.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
5 GPM will usually supply a house. I like 10 GPM to cover peak demands like when you have company.

Laying a sub on its side is fine. Been doing it for decades with pumps up to 75HP. A flow inducer/cooling shroud and starting the pump against pressure is important though. That means only one check valve and that one installed right on the pump.
shroud 3 pics.jpg

Horizontal Bracket for Sub.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks